1/100th of a second...

Oct 21, 2012

Hi,

I need to make some text appear on the screen of a Storyline course for 1/100th of a second.

I know I cannot do this natively, so assume a video of some sort is the only way to do this.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated - just thought I would ask.

Bruce

10 Replies
Steve Flowers

That's an odd one, Bruce. Text that is only onscreen for 1/100th of a second... you wouldn't be able to see it. You'll also need to take into account the frame rate of your media. Conceptually, you could get your frame rate high enough to display 100 frames per second in some types of video. You could display this video within a web object on your slide, bypassing the default frame rate of the player (30fps, I believe). But then you're right back where you started, it really wouldn't be visible to anyone. The human eye isn't that clever

Bruce Graham

Hi Steve,

That's the point...this is a course for someone who is arguably one of the World's leading experts on speed-reading, and it IS possible to see, and also interpret data at that rate. I was close to that speed many times when I was doing university experiments into visual stimulation.

Perhaps need to do 1/30th of a second or something, and then just say that they had plenty of time!

Bruce

Bruce Graham

Garry Nordenstam said:

But isn't the display's refresh rate going to come into play? You're going to need a 100Hz minimum refresh rate.

Probably!

I have no idea about these things, hence the post.

It's just something I would like to do in a course - probably completely unworkable, but that's never stopped me before

Bruce

Steve Flowers

Hey Bruce. Try this. You can't adjust the duration of an item within SL but you CAN adjust the start time. So create a text item then create an overlay the same color as your background. Then adjust the start time of your overlay by right-clicking the item in the timeline and selecting Timing. For example, you can type in a timing for 1.01 second entry. With the movie framerate of 30fps you won't see it. But you might get close with something like 1.035 you'll see it for roughly 1/30'th of a second. It does flash the item VERY briefly.

Bruce Graham

Steve Flowers said:

Hey Bruce. Try this. You can't adjust the duration of an item within SL but you CAN adjust the start time. So create a text item then create an overlay the same color as your background. Then adjust the start time of your overlay by right-clicking the item in the timeline and selecting Timing. For example, you can type in a timing for 1.01 second entry. With the movie framerate of 30fps you won't see it. But you might get close with something like 1.035 you'll see it for roughly 1/30'th of a second. It does flash the item VERY briefly.

Thanks for the masking idea Steve,

I have the words starting at 0.75 ( to give a smal lead-in time) and the mask at 0.79, which appears to be the fastest I can get something to "flash".

Hey ho.....

Bruce

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.