508 document

Feb 27, 2013

I'm trying to create a document for myself to help me with 508 compliance. So far, I have a couple of questions:

1. If I use a text box, I know the screen reader can read it. but if I put the text box inside a shape and group them, can it still be read by the screen reader? How about if I don't group them?

2. If I type words directly into the shape, i.e., without adding a text box, can the text still be read by a screen reader?

3.What's the best (i.e., easiest) way to add closed captioning to the audio so the user can turn it off if they want to? (otherwise, people would find it annoying to have both, plus I think the screen reader will read it at the same time the audio is playing.)

4. What are some ways to let the unsighted person know he has to go to the next slide? Does storyline have any sound effects?

That's it for now...

Thanks.

Jon

1 Reply
Jon DeMartino

I found this website about 508 and SL.

http://www.articulate.com/products/storyline-section-508.php

Under the section labeled "Author's Role in Section 508 Compliance," I see the following instruction, but would like some help with how to implement it.

"Give learners a way to skip repetitive navigation links." This relates to my question above. Let's say I add audio narration but I also have all the necessary information on the slide as well. If I allow the user to control whether or not he hears the audio, I would use the volume button, I think. But then the screen reader will "read" the fact that the volume control is present on every slide/screen.

Is there a work-around with layers, maybe? Or another way to turn the audio off or on for the entire presentation to avoid having the volume control appearing on the framework for every slide?

What do the rest of you do?

Thanks!

Jon

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.