508 Player

Sep 24, 2019

Hey all, 

I was making a course that needs to be 508 compliant and when our compliance team ran through the course they came back with the following issues with the player:

1. For the player, there was no expand/collapse functionality associated with the hamburger menu and scenes. 

2. Users can't cycle through the individual slides on the player. 

3. There is no text/alt-text below the forward and back buttons.

4. The colors of the currently selected slide and already visited slides do not have sufficient color contrast. (This one I know how to solve)

5. Because Storyline uses an application field (in HTML), many of the standard screen reader features don't work (they didn't go into specifics here). 

Please tell me anyone has a solution to any of these issues. If we can't make these fixes, this whole module will go to waste. 

6 Replies
Katie Riggio

Hi there!

Thank you for all of this valuable insight, and I'm really sorry that you and your team hit these issues. I'd be happy to help investigate each one for you:

1. and 2. Could you share more detail on what your team saw happen in these areas? If you can share the .story file with us for testing, that would be gold! You can share it privately by uploading it here. We'll delete it after taking a thorough look!

3. Any chance the Modern Player is selected? By default, navigation buttons display only icons—i.e., arrows for previous and next buttons and check marks for submit buttons. However, you can switch to text or both icons and text instead. Here's how!

4. This sounds like the visited menu links in the Dark scheme of the Modern Player. There isn't a way to change the Modern Player text colors at this time, but we're tracking feature requests for further color customization. I'll add your vote to that request!

5. What screen reader did your team use? Storyline 360 is officially supported with JAWS 16 or later.

For more information on our efforts in accessibility improvements efforts, head over to Simon's post in this discussion!

Excited to dig deeper, and let me know if there's anything else I can answer!

Manhattan Strategy

Hi Katie,

To respond to each of these:

1. & 2. The direct quotes are: "Keyboard support was not provided for the expand/collapse functionality associated with the hamburger menu and Sample Scene.
Additionally, alternate text was not provided for the expand/collapse button." and "Even though keyboard-only users are able to navigate to "SAMPLE MODULE", "Rate your self on how well…", etc. menu items under the left navigation panel. Keyboard support was not provided for the "SAMPLE MODULE", "Rate your self on how well…", etc. menu items.". I'll upload the story file after I post this. 

3. I changed it from the modern player to the classic player, so I don't think this should be an issue any more. 

4. See above. 

5. The note just says JAWS & Chrome. 

I appreciate the response. 

Vincent Scoma

Hey There! 

Thank you for sharing those details! 

As Katie mentioned, if you could share your file that would help out greatly! We can dive in a bit deeper here and continue to troubleshoot this further. You can share it privately by uploading it here. We'll let you know our findings and will delete it after having a closer look!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.