Accessibility of Storyline block in Rise 360

Jan 23, 2023

Hi there, 

I have managed to incorporate a no. of accessibility guidelines into my storyline block. However, when I use the 'Read aloud' function built into my Edge browser, it cannot read the content on the slides or the notes. 

Hoping someone can assist me.

Thanks

Max

9 Replies
Luciana Piazza

Hi there, Max!

Thanks for reaching out. Glad to hear you are incorporating accessibility features into your course! 

Unfortunately, this 'Read Aloud' functionality is not possible with Storyline 360 courses while using Edge. This functionality within Edge is only supported at this time within Rise 360 since it is web-based.

We currently have a Feature Request submitted for this very issue. I have added your voice to this request. Here is how we handle Feature Requests. You can see what our team is currently working on within the Feature Roadmap.

In the meantime, I'm curious to hear what other community members have done as a workaround! 

We'll be sure to update this thread with any news or updates. 

Thanks so much! 

Government Procurement

Thanks Luciana.

If I embed a Storyline block as an introductory video, is this still accessible? How can I test a storyline block for accessibility?

I am undertaking the following checks.

1. Colour contrast check
  2. Size of font
  3. Alt text to images (mine don't add any context hence I have removed them from the focus order)

I have also added the following features to make my content accessible.

1. Transcript (there is no audio as I am not keen to add the Text-to-speech voices or my voice and have no access to a voice actor at the moment/good recording software or a studio.)
  2. Closed captions and notes
  3. Accessibility shortcuts in a Word document linked within a Tab

I have tried to use Web Aim but Articulate doesn't give access.

Am I missing anything?

Jose Tansengco

Hello Mary Ann,

You can test the accessibility of an embedded Storyline 360 block in a Rise 360 course the same way you would test if it were a standalone Storyline 360 course. 

If the Storyline interaction itself is accessible, it will still be accessible as a block in Rise 360. Additionally, you can check out this article on how to design accessible Rise 360 courses: 

Hope this helps!

Pedro Mendez

Hi author,

I have just posted a similar question and it touches about remediation process of SL blocks.

For you to know, I have tested SL blocks embeded in Rise with edge read-aloud option and it works well. Now I need to find out how to set up the correct reading order, tagging, artificating, etc..

If you export a SL course/block as HTML5 it will al be read aloud by screen readers.  The process will depend on your needs and how you are planning to deliver your product.

About videos, a video will be accessible if you add captions, and provide a transcript or text version of it.  The video itself does not need to be "readable" by a screen reader, this are different multimedia concepts. 

Hope it helps!

Naomi Pusch

Hi Luciana, I am having trouble with the Edge Read Aloud in Rise and hoping you can help. Every time it gets to a "Continue" button, the reader stops reading. When I hit play again, it starts at the beginning of the course (instead of where I left off after the Continue button click). Any recommendations or known issues? 

Jose Tansengco

Hello Naomi,

Happy to help!

The first thing we need to do is to isolate if the behavior you're experiencing is isolated to your screen reader. Rise 360 supports JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver, and TalkBack screen readers with our supported browsers.

Would you mind testing your course using any of the four supported screen readers to see if there is any difference? If you can replicate the behavior there, please open a case with our support team here so we can take a closer look at the issue.

Naomi Pusch

Hi @Jose, thank you, does Rise 360 support the Edge browser's built-in Read Aloud feature (Immersive Reader)? It used to (in our testing) but recently we found this issue I described above. It could have been a change to Edge or to Rise, but it seems to have changed how it functioned. We are about to go-live with a course and needed to support audio read aloud for folks that don't have screen readers (some folks with learning disabilities prefer to read and have it read aloud).