Applying Accessibility with new update on Storyline 360

Feb 21, 2020

As per the article (Jan 21, 2020, Build 3.36.21213.0) with the new update, the accessible player makes navigation easier.
We published our accessible course with the above build and got the following results.
·        The latest Storyline 360 build 3.36.21213.0 or later does not support Tab Indexing.

·        Alt Text only reads player level buttons i.e. Prev, Next and Menu bar.

·        The sequence of TAB focus (Alt Text flow) is not as per standard. It should be clockwise, but with this version, it’s flowing anti-clockwise.

·        Tab Index does not read the Onscreen text, Images, and Videos. It directly jumps to Skip Navigation after player level buttons.

Can you please urgently let us know the solution to making the course appropriately accessible with the latest build? With the previous build (Storyline 360 V3.33.20697 build), all features of accessibility were working fine.

2 Replies
Noel Sapp

Heyo. A few users that work with 508 compliance have rolled back to the previous build just to avoid the pitfalls of what you have described.

There is a staff post on the first page of the Articulate forums that announces the version release that you are having issues with. I believe it is the second thread with the pin icon. In that thread, several users are posting feedback. It might be interesting to read through some of them. I posted a few links there as well, pointing to other threads that further detail some specific issues. You might find a workaround in some of that. Or, at least, confirm that you are not alone.

:)

Lauren Connelly

Hi Shilpa!

I'm here to answer your questions regarding our newest update!

Previously, learners tabbed to each object on a slide for screen readers to read it. That method was accessible, but it wasn’t the best experience. So we optimized slide navigation to require fewer keystrokes for screen reader users and keyboard-only users.

Now, the tab order that you define for each slide in Storyline 360 controls the reading order of text and images for screen readers as well as the navigation order of interactive elements, such as buttons, hotspots, and data-entry fields. 

Also, every object that you add to a slide is now rendered as a complete, semantic HTML element that follows best practices for web accessibility. This means learners can use assistive technologies, such as screen readers, to navigate your courses much the same way they browse web pages. It’s a familiar experience based on recognized standards.

Lastly, we've added a "Skip Navigation" button which allows users to navigate through the slide content and ignore the Player tabs.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.