Storyline 360 trial version restrictions and compatibility

Jan 30, 2019

Hi,

I am currently using Storyline 3, but have been plagued with frequent crashes that occur randomly, causing me to lose valuable time. I don't have time to troubleshoot now, and in an act of "desperation", I downloaded the trial for 360. This seems to be more stable. I'm publishing my course on Friday, and need to know:

• Can I safely publish the course (I'm not using Articulate servers) when it's built using the trial version, or are there any restrictions that I need to know about?
  • Will content made in the trial version remain compatible with Storyline 3?
4 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Tom,

You can safely publish, as the trial is a full version of the software (minus some downloads within Content Library). We don't recommend using a trial for production work though, as in the event that your trial lapsed Storyline 360 would stop working and you wouldn't be able to make edits. 

The exception to that last piece is if you have Storyline 3. For the most part, Storyline 360 and Storyline 3 project files can be opened interchangeably. There are a few exceptions, though. If a Storyline 360 project file has features that are exclusive to Storyline 360, you won't be able to open it with Storyline 3. You can review this article for more details on pieces that won't be compatible with Storyline 3. 

Ultimately, if Storyline 3 is crashing and you're running into trouble there, we'd like to help! When you're past the desperation point, please reach out to our Support Team and they'll walk you through the process to pull some error logs and get to the root of the issue. 

Tom Lund

Thank you for your reply, that's good to know. I may update to 360, as it seems a lot more stable. I have not had any crashes in 8 hours of working with it, while Storyline 3 would crash several times a day, sometimes at random, but a trend seems to be it would crash when I performed undo/redo or copy/paste.

Your link is corrupt, though. I assume you mean this: Compatibility Between Storyline 360 and Storyline 3 Project Files

Thanks!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Whoops - it looks like my link had some added characters, fixed it for future! Glad you found it on your own too. 

For Storyline 3, are you on the latest update, build 3.5.16548.0? That'd be one of the first things I'd check when it comes to constant crashing, and often something as simple as a repair resolves any odd behavior that could have snuck in.

Our Support Engineers are also experts at diagnosing those error logs, so we're here to help! I can open a case for you so that we're ready and waiting once you're able to share - would that help? 

Tom Lund

I'll just leave it for now. I'm probably going to make the leap to Storyline 360, unless I find the time and energy to transfer my entire project to Unity 3D, which is something I have wanted to do for a long time that would really take it to the next level, but is obviously a lot more demanding. But I digress :)

Thank you for great support, Ashley. I'll make sure to open a case if I should decide to stay with Storyline 3.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.