Audio Issues with Storyline 2

Oct 17, 2017

Hey everyone!

I have background music and voiceovers in my current project.  They are all in separate layers.  Things look and sound great when previewing within Articulate, but when I upload them (we have been using a sharepoint to host, using the Story_HTML5 link to share the module with people to view), we are having various issues with the audio.  One viewer in Chrome had the voiceover cutting out after 4 or 5 works for each caption.  When the next caption starts up, it will read the next 4 or 5 words and cut out again.  The background music plays correctly the whole time, however.

In Internet Explorer, the voiceover seems to fade in and out, louder and softer.  I have no idea what is going on and have searched through the forums without much help.  Anyone have any ideas why we are having so much trouble?

Thank you!

3 Replies
Ali Goulet

Hey Dan!

So sorry you're running into these audio hiccups-- I'm happy to help!

One thing to note first is that HTML5 output isn't supported for Internet Explorer in Storyline 2- so I'd expect to run into trouble there. 

The latest Google Chrome is supported however, so let's dig in a little further for that issue. I have a couple questions to start:

1. Just to verify, are you running the latest update for Storyline 2- update 12? If not, you can download it right over here.
  2. Can you share a copy of your unpublished .story file so I can do some testing with it? You can add it as an attachment right to a comment in this thread.

Let me know and we'll go from there! 

Dan Warner

Hey Ali!  Thank you SO MUCH for reaching out!  I have attached a slightly edited version of the story to give you sample.  It previews perfectly, so the issue is somewhere between publishing, the browser, and the hosting process from what I can tell.  I have no formal training in this, and the upload process I'm following is something I was told from someone in the role before me, so I am VERY open to any possible suggestions.

We have managed systems where I work, so we are only running through update 7...and it isn't super easy to get that changed, so unless it is THE problem, we are probably stuck with that.  Currently we upload the published files to a sharepoint site, and then share the link generated by the "story_html5" file.  Again, very open to other ideas...I'm just not sure how limited we will be by our network or technology.  We really need our presentations to be viewable in Chrome and IE, as a majority of viewers will probably be watching in IE (our default browser).

Thanks again!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Dan,

Thanks for sharing a copy of your course. I published it using Update 12 and uploaded to my Amazon S3 site. You can view it here. I played the Flash and HTML5 output in Chrome and everything played back normally.

In case you also want to try my published output on your Sharepoint site, I've also uploaded it here.

If that version works for you, as Ali mentioned, you'd want to use the latest update of Storyline to resolve any odd behaviors.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.