Button states

Jul 08, 2014

Hi - I have a question about button states.

I have 12 buttons, and each has a Normal state and an Active state. The active state displays a text bubble. So the user clicks a button, reads the text, clicks the next button, the text of the first button disappears and new text appears.

Right now, as I see it, each button would have 12 triggers - one to change the state to Active when the button is clicked, and the other 11 to change other button states back to Normal when any other button is clicked. So that's 144 triggers. I'm pretty new to Articulate, so I'm guessing that there's a much better way of doing this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

12 Replies
Kevin Dixon

If you create the layer it defaults to hide all other layers. go in at the layer level and turn off the things on the base level that you don't want to see leave the buttons active. When you click each button it hides the previous layer and shows only the laver connected to that button. One trigger and some adjustment on the time line. I have attached a sample of what I am talking about.

Rose Jorgensen

Thanks for all your suggestions and help. I ended up making the button a hover, which solved the problem, but this is not the first time I've had this problem. I'll definitely take a look at these suggestions!

Rebecca, I'm not sure what you mean, but I did do the first part of your suggestion. Not sure about the second part, but I'll take a look.

Kevin, thanks so much for doing those. I think I can work with those suggestions. :)

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi All,

Bo, tx for linking Rose to some tutorials.

I'm attaching a quick and "plain vanilla" example with only 3 buttons and assuming (oot-oh) that you're referring to regular buttons, not the check boxes or radio buttons. In that case, the first thing you need to do is add the selected state to your buttons.

1. Select your button
  2. Click the States tab
  3. Click Edit States
  4. Click New state icon
  5. From the drop-down in the Add window, click Selected
  6. Click the Add button
  7. Click Done Editing States

Now,

1. Double-click the Selected state to make it active
  2. Use the menu to insert your caption wherever you want it (it will be inserted only on the selected state of that button)
  3. Click Done Editing States

Do the same for your other buttons

Now

1. Select all the buttons and right-click in the selected area
  2. From the shortcut menu, highlight Button set, and either click Button Set 1 to make it active, or create a new button set

This sets things up so that only 1 button can be selected at a time.

Please shout out with any questions.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.