Conditional next button

Jun 21, 2022

Hello! 

I'm trying to make my custom next button conditional, so learners have to complete an interaction of clicking and showing layers before they continue...

I tried doing this with a trigger that shows a "cannot continue" type layer if all the states of the clickable boxes aren't "disabled", and the same trigger (but to progress to next slide) if they are all set to disabled. I did this using trigger conditions. However storyline seems to be ignoring this and proceeding anyway?

Has anyone encountered this problem before? I assumed that SL would ignore the trigger if the conditions weren't met? 

I've attached the slide in a separate .story if anyone would like to look.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

2 Replies
Daniel Canaveral

Hi Tom.  I've had a love-hate relationship with the Disable state for quite a long time, and it started because I was experiencing issues similar to the ones you've highlighted here when employing it.  In the place of the built-in Disable state, I choose to either create a custom Disable state or utilize the built-in Visited state in combination with a transparent shape that I place over the visited object to act as a "Cover," effectively "disabling" it.  To troubleshoot the problems seen in your project file, I've taken this latter approach, reworking existing triggers and adding quite a few new ones to ensure state changes occur as expected.

If you would like to talk through the process in more detail, I'd be happy to schedule some time to do that.

- Daniel