corrupt file

Jul 04, 2017

help

i have a corrupt file that a contractor colleague left me. can anyone help me fix it please?

11 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Justin and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

I'm not able to open that file either.

Does your colleague still have access to the original file? There may still be a working version of the project in the temp files. Here's how to check: 

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

File corruption is unpredictable, and there's no straightforward way to determine what causes it. Common causes are environmental (disk errors, power outages, improper shutdowns), viruses, failed Windows updates, and even file size (i.e., very large files have a higher risk of corrupting). Consider using the preventative measures described in this article to protect your project files.

Hopefully you'll be able to get a good file.

Kyle Long

I've got a corrupt Storyline file as well.  I opened Case Number: 01100941 about 5 hours ago and haven't heard anything.

Here are details:

Articulate Storyline - I was working on a project last night, published out so I could review it this morning, saved, and closed Articulate with no errors.  I then copied the file to the backup location before signing off.
This morning, there was an update to Articulate waiting to be applied, so I installed it.
Now I cannot open my project - I get an error that the file is corrupt (attached). I get the same error when trying to open the file in the 'backup' location. 

However, I am able to open all the other projects I had.
Help! I really do not want to redo this entire project. 

Is there a way to recover a project from a published output?

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Michelle!

Sorry to hear that you've run into an issue, but thanks for letting us know that you opened a support case as well. I'll send you a short message there as well.

I am unable to open your file as well and it will not import into a new file.

You may want to try these steps to look through your temp folders and see if the files were still accessible to you there:

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

Hopefully that works well for you.

Kyle Long

Yes - I already looked in the appdata folder - there are no Storyline files in there.  I searched for my file name - and then searched just for *.tmp to see if there were other characters and nothing with a time stamp near what would be my Storyline file.

I am not sure what 'prompts' Storyline to save a file in that location, but obviously my setting isn't set.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.