Corrupted File

Jun 07, 2022

Hello,

I've been working on a project in SL suddenly when I open the file error pops up: "This project is invalid or corrupt and cannot be opened. It may have been created in an earlier version of Storyline."

I was working on this file yesterday, so the problemcannot be the earlier version. I was trying to look up some solution on how to recover the file. Unfortunately the only solution that I've found doesn't work (AppData folder). So I would like to ask you is there any way to recover this file which I've uploaded in the attachments. 

1 Reply
Jose Tansengco

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your project file. I tested it on our end and it looks like the contents can no longer be recovered. The backup files however are not saved exactly in the AppData directory, but a few folders down, so if you haven't checked yet, here's where to check for working versions of your project file: 

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

I'm really sorry that we weren't able to recover your project file, but you can follow these steps to reduce the risk of encountering data corruption moving forward.