creating a multi-language TinCAN object

Hi,

to make it simple, I have the same TinCAN object in 2 languages (separate .story files) and I want to create a single storyline file with language choice. I've read many other discussion threads, but it's seems this operation is not as easy as it should be, even if you simply import one object into another and add a language selection slide. By the way, I'm not localizing any slide text, I'm only using different audio files and slide notes over the very same graphical content.

Of course I use variables in both objects, and since one object is a copy of the other, variables have the same name.

Is there any reliable procedure to implement this merging?

Thanks in advance, cheers

7 Replies
simondavide tritto

One more point: I've merged the 2 storyline files into a single file; I've added one slide for language selection with 2 buttons, one to select language1 and one for language2; then I've extracted the quizzes from both versions and moved them to a new scene so to have only 1 occurrence of the quizzes; now I have 4 scenes:

1) language selection (1 slide)

2) language1 scene

3) language2 scene

4) quizzes

Since in my quiz slides I have a link to a review slide (where users can find hints for the answers), of course this lnk must point to the relevant slide in language1 or language2, depending on which version is being taken.

To do so I've created a variable (selected_language), which is initialized to language1 or language2 in the scene 1; then I user this variable to jump to the relevant slide when users click on "review" in the quiz slide; the problem is that jumping occurs always to the same slide version (say language1, the variable's default value) even if the selected language is language2; it looks like the scope of the variable is not global, so it is not visible across scenes.

Can you kindly help on this?

Lauren Connelly

Hello Simondavide!

Happy to help! It would be helpful to see your file first so that I can get a better idea of what you've created!

Would you mind sharing your file with us? You can do so by using the "add attachment" button in this discussion. Or you can share the file privately with our Support Engineers by using this link.

simondavide tritto

Hi Lauren,

 

actually I solved this issue with variables; it was my mistake in sorting the triggers. I was leaving a slide too early, before setting the variable. Now I managed to create what seems to be ok, but the only open point is that the player menu shows all entries (English and Chinese) at once, while I'd like to show only the active language's.

I'm uploading here a stripped version of my story file; can you kindly help?

Leslie McKerchie

Thanks for sharing your .story file so that we could take a look and understand what you are running into, simondavide.

One idea:

Moving the slides to a single scene and then removing the individual slides from the menu will allow the scene name to display and not appear to have the 'duplicates'.

My sample file is attached.

I look forward to seeing some other ideas from the community.

simondavide tritto

Hi Leslie,

 

thanks for your help.

I tried what you suggest but this ends up in a navigation menu where you cannot navigate. Hiding the links means users cannot navigate by clicking in the menu, but only by advancing the slides. I'm not sure they will like it.

By the way, something I did not tell before: the slides are not getting changed; we use the very same slides for both languages; what is getting localized is the audio (text to speech), the notes and the subtitles.

Is there any way to make these items selectable depending on user's chosen language?

This way I will avoid duplicating the slides and I will only work with the audio files.

If it's not possible, would you consider adding this feature? In most cases the slides are not translated, but the audio is; having a multi-language text-to-speech feature, where we can enter multiple text versions in separate tabs, each of which gets played in a different language and can be selected based on a variable value, will make creating multi-language objects a piece of cake

 

 

simondavide tritto

BTW, I just made a trial.

I've added 2 audio files to the same slide: 1 for english and one or chinese.

Then I've set a trigger to play either audio based on a variable that can be set to "english" or "chiese"; it seems to work well if I let the audio play on its own, but if I drag the playbar forward or backward while the audio is playing, I feel like something got spoiled and the audio replays or looses the sync.

You can check it in the attached file by selecting either language and let the audio play untouched the first time, then playing it a second time (reset the project) and then slide the playbar.

Lauren Connelly

Hello Simondavide!

Thanks for sharing that file! Impressive! 

I noticed the seek bar doesn't correlate with the audio. The play/pause work, but the scrubbing doesn't sync with the audio.

I've tried a few troubleshooting tips and don't see a reason why the audio is still playing from where it left off, rather than where the scrub bar is. I've opened a case with our Support Engineers on your behalf. They'll take it from here!