custom navigation bar

May 30, 2018

Hi Articulate community,

I have created a custom navigation bar in Storyline 360 to use in place of the default player since I want more control over the appearance and placing of buttons.

Since I need flexibility over which buttons appear on which slide, I have decided to place the nav bar elements in each individual slide, rather than in the slide master. I am wondering what the best practice is for this. I have so far done the following:

- created a separate layer for the nav bar and shown it when the timeline starts. However I have since realised that this will run into problems when using multiple layers that may require other layers to be hidden, so have abandoned this idea.

- so instead I’ve simply gone for the option of pasting the nav bar contents into the base layer; however this means that there are now about 5 separate elements added to each timeline (buttons, background etc). I looked into the idea of grouping them to make the timeline clearer, but this has had the effect of making all the rollover buttons display hover states when I roll over a single element.

What is the best way to implement a custom nav bar that keeps the timelines of slides clean and uncluttered?

Thanks,

Mark

2 Replies
Walt Hamilton

I'm not sure there is adequate return on investment to spend a lot of resources on keeping the timeline "clean and uncluttered", since you are the only one who sees it. Give those five items the same name on each slide, and keep them next to each other (vertically) on the timeline, and probably anything beyond that is a waste of time.

On the other hand, no amount of effort is too much to keep the part of your slides that the learners can see clean and uncluttered.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.