Design block

Jul 14, 2020

Hi all - I am stuck in the middle of designing a course on legal interviewing.  I have provided the learner with all the do's and don'ts. Now I want them to go through a simulation of a interview to ensure they don't ask illegal questions or that they ask questions in the correct format.   Example - how much are you currently making s/b what are your salary expectations.  

I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on how I can make this interactive and not just a bunch of quiz questions.   

4 Replies
Ned Whiteley

Hi Mischelle,

One option you have is to set up an interview scenario. If you were working in Rise, this is easy to set up in a Scenario Block, but you could still use the same principles to set up your own scenario in Storyline.

You could have the interview set up where you have a number of options for each question and the interviewee responds accordingly. When the interview is complete, you would then be advised on where you went wrong and why those questions were inappropriate and also what the correct questions were. You could then either repeat the interview and be given the opportunity to use the correct questions and receive the appropriate answers or you could be led through the correct version of the interview.

Elizabeth Pawlicki

Hi Mischelle!  I like Ned's thought about an interview scenario.  This example comes to mind -- it's a Rise 360 example but you could easily recreate using the same characters in Storyline.  It's the "Unfinished Job" lesson that works in this course.  You set them up with one character who provides them guidance on how to give feedback to an employee, then you practice giving feedback to an employee.  You could do the same thing with your interview situation!

Jennifer Braun

Thanks guys this helped.  I do have another question on variables.  

I am using just a regular slide not a graded question slide. I created 3 questions with values of 0, 1, & 2.  After the learners goes through all 10 questions, how to I add up those variables?  I thought a results slide but these aren't question slides. 

Appreciate the help

Ned Whiteley

Hi Mischelle,

I am slightly confused about your query above. You have indicated that you are using one slide with three questions and three separate values. You then talk about the user answering all ten questions.

I am going to assume that you have ten slides, each with one question and each question has three possible answers. Depending on which answer is selected, the user scores either 0, 1 or 2 marks.

If you create a variable, lets say TotalScore, and then use triggers on each slide to add 0, 1 or 2 to the variable when the user clicks the Continue or Submit button, based on their response and then use another trigger to jump to the next slide, the TotalScore variable will always maintain an accurate count of the user's score. You can then use this variable to display the final result on a custom Results slide at the end of your set of questions. In reality, you don't need to set a trigger to add zero to the score as the score will not be changing and the user will still be jumped to the next slide. (see attached example)

If I have missed the point here or if you have any further queries, are you able to post a copy of your Storyline file here so that I can have a look?

Many Thanks

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.