Disable dragging a video seekbar in Storyline 360

Feb 02, 2023

Hi everyone! Just wondering if there's a way to disable the seekbar dragging functionality of an inserted video in the storyline.

Please see attached screenshot file for reference.

Thanks in advance!

19 Replies
Judy Nollet

If you cover the video controls with a 99%-transparent shape, the user won't be able to use the controls. (That's transparent enough that it won't be visible, but it will prevent clicking the controls.)

FYI: You can hide that shape when the video is done so the user can access the controls for replaying. 

Luciana Piazza

Hi Darryl! 

Thanks for letting us know your needs for that video being included in the focus order.  I wanted to pop into this discussion with a quick suggestion. 

I found this discussion thread where community member Nancy shares a workaround that might be of help to you. She suggests going to Slide Properties and Player Defaults as a workaround for with the Seekbar. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help!

Jose Tansengco

Hi Darryl, 

There isn't a way to disable the functionality of the video control's seek bar. We recommend hiding this entirely if you would like to prevent your learners from skipping through the video. 

One alternative that you can explore is to use the player's Play/Pause button to control your video instead. 

This article explains how you can customize the Player for your course. I've attached a sample demo so you can see how the Player's Play/Pause button can control the video.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Darryl Palaubsanon

Hi Everyone! I did some JavaScript to make this work by simply adding an Execute JavaScript when the timeline starts Trigger.

These are the JS codes:

// One liner function:
const addCSS = css => document.head.appendChild(document.createElement("style")).innerHTML=css;

// Usage:
addCSS(".video-seekbar {display: none;} .modern-video-controls .video-controlbar {height: 50px !important;}")

Video without seekbar

Thank you so much, everyone!
Darryl Palaubsanon

Hi Everyone, I just simply created an Execute JavaScript trigger when the timeline starts, copy and paste the code below to your trigger.

These are the JS codes:

// One liner function:
const addCSS = css => document.head.appendChild(document.createElement("style")).innerHTML=css;

// Usage:
addCSS(".video-seekbar {display: none;} .modern-video-controls .video-controlbar {height: 50px !important;}")

Steven Benassi

Hi Marcus!

Thanks for checking in on this!

I don't have any updates to share at the moment as our development team has been prioritizing other features. Not to worry! I've included you in the feature report so you can be notified as soon as we have news to share!

In the meantime, here's a deeper look at how we manage feature requests.

Brenda Lopez

@darryl, i know it's been a while but i wanted to say this solution worked for me. the alternative solution posted elsewhere of adding a transparent box didn't work for me because (1) the box doesn't stay put when you resize the screen, and (2) people using the keyboard can still activate it.

My follow-up question for you is: what would be the javascript to enable the bar again once the video is complete?

Thanks!

brenda