Disable NEXT Button

Aug 18, 2017

Hi there, I've hit a roadblock with my course in that I've created a slide with three icons - each link to a drag and drop quiz slide that then points back to the first slide once they have correctly dragged the items.

My goal was to disable the next button and not have it normal to let them proceed to the next slide unless all three icons have been visited. When I click on the last icon it briefly shows the next button go normal  before taking me to the last drag and drop quiz slide. When I complete the last quiz and go back to the main slide the next button remains disabled even though I have it set to become normal if all three icons are in a visited state. I've tried everything, including variables to make this work for me but can't seem to get it to work.

The strange part here is the same trigger in the previous slide works, just not on the slide where it goes to another slide and comes back.

Any help would be appreciated!

18 Replies
Doug Dewan

Hi Wendy, reaching out again on the disabled NEXT button. I've run into an issue where once you have visited each button and the next button has changed to normal. If you hit previous and go to the previous slide then come back in into the slide, the next button is disabled again and you can't proceed in the course. I added conditions to make it disabled only if the button states are normal but this doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions to get around this issue?

Wendy Farmer

Hi Doug

check the slide properties - what is the revisit option set to? Try setting to 'resume saved state'.

If it already is and it's still not working you might need to add a variable could be T/F or a number variable.  This variable would be triggered when the slide is first visited, then a trigger added to the next button.

Let me know how you go and if you need to upload the .story file.

Doug Dewan

Hi Wendy,

Should it not be set to disabled if I wish to have the next button disabled if they have not visited the three buttons?
Currently the functionality works, so that they need to visit each of the 3 buttons before the next button changes to normal. Where I seem to be running into an issue is once progressing to the next slide, should the user decide to hit previous at the next slide, the buttons all show visited, but the next button remains disabled and they cannot progress.

Doug

Doug Dewan

Hi Wendy,

I think I’ve found a solution.

· Trigger: Set the next button to disabled once the timeline starts

· Trigger: Set the next button to normal when the state of all buttons are visited

· Slide properties: Reset to initial state

Not ideal as I wanted it to show they were already visited when returning, they will need to re-click to change the next button again to normal.

Doug

Doug Dewan

Hi Wendy,

You are correct, I do want it to be locked until they visit all three. The issue I was having was once they progress past that slide then were to come back to the previous slide, the buttons are in a visited state, however the NEXT button was remaining in a disabled state. The logic I was trying build was if the three buttons are visited, if someone were to return to the slide the NEXT button would be normal.

Doug

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.