Dissappearing background trick on HTML5 publish

Hi Heros:

Forgive me if this forum entry may appear negative, this is not my intent.

We currently have Suite09 and are contemplating Storyline as well as Suite12  when it comes out.

I am a Adobe eLearning Suite power user and admit up front, it has spoiled me.

The following observations are only for Storyboard:

At this point, we have imported a small PPTX project that contains many hyperlinks to local documents (within project folders), one audio file, and very basic animation. We published this story to Web and CD and found the following issues in the published output (categorized by publish type):

Storyline "quirks" :

  1. When you add a hyperlink to an object, Storyline creates up to 3 duplicated HREFs under the one object.
  2. The path that Storyline creates must be modified manually to point to the "story_content/external_files" folder in the project; then for this to work, you must create that folder and copy the target files into it.
  3. If you do not do the Hyperlink process as in step 2, Storyline will not find the HREF items, creating a full network path instead.
  4. Storyline does not contain nearly as many animations as PPT, therefore, any unsupported animations will default to none and you will have to redo them.
  5. Storyline only contains 1 player template that cannot be altered (beyond color change) in a friendly way.
  6. Storyline encripts the .js files that I would need to edit to correct any, or many, of the previously mentioned issues as well as many of the next issues. This blocks my ability to help myself and really makes the product frustrating when you try to do anything other than the 5 things it does correctly.

CD Publish:

Same as Items 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 above

HTML5, IOS publish:

  1. Storyline only brought over 85% of the backgrounds, we had to trace the HTML in Firefox to find out the names of the missing ones being called. Many slides were left with no baclgrounds (animated white text on light gray).
  2. All Hyperlinks did not work until we completed step 2 above.
  3. The Player template called logo.jpeg from the mobile folder, however, Storyline actually published logo.swf in the story_content folder. This caused no logo to display.
  4. On IOS 5 and Android 2.4 tablets, we found the HTML5 outputs would become less responsive as time went on. On each tablet, we had to finally reboot when the browsers simply stopped responding.
  5. On ISO 5, the scroll-pane content (from 4 different slides) was concactinated together and appeared to be converted to an unrecognisable font style, italicized, blurred, and overlapped as if they became images.

Best Regards,

Dennis

3 Replies
Peter Anderson

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the feedback. If you don't mind, I'd like to have you submit a case, including your .story file, so we can formally document and try to reproduce the issues you've mentioned when publishing for HTML5, web and CD.

A couple thoughts on the HTML5 publish:

    3. The Player template called logo.jpeg from the mobile folder, however, Storyline actually published logo.swf in the story_content folder. This caused no logo to display.

If the logo was inserted as JPEG, it should be published both as a logo.swf in the mobile folder, and in the story_content folder. If it doesn't, we'd definitely like to see the project. If the player template was created in the beta, then the solution is to delete the logo from the player template and re-add it.

   4. On IOS 5 and Android 2.4 tablets, we found the HTML5 outputs would become less responsive as time went on. On each tablet, we had to finally reboot when the browsers simply stopped responding.

Right now our HTML5 output is supported on mobile Safari, Safari and Chrome. Since Android tablets support Flash you will get better performance there.

Thanks again for bringing this to us, and we'll look forward to receiving your case.