drag and drop

Nov 03, 2023

I am trying to create drag and drop (sorting) quiz question where I have several tools that are used by several Personas and I want the learner to match the correct persona to the correct tool

My challenge is that each tool can be used by several people and each person can use several tools!

I presume you can only attach a drag item to one drop target?... if this is the case then I cannot get my head around how to achieve what I am trying to do

Any one have any ideas? some help would be appreciated

7 Replies
Patricia de Souza

OK I have spent the afternoon trawling past discussions and have found a way to do what I want by using states and triggers however I now have a new issue...

When I use the "set variable to true when user drops a drag item on the target drop"... the items all snap to the centre...is there a way to prevent this and allow the learner to place the item where they want inside the drop zone

Luciana Piazza

Hi there, Patricia!

Thanks so much for reaching out. I'm glad to hear past E-Learning Heroes discussions were able to help get you started with this interaction! 

Would it be possible for you to share your .story file in this thread or privately in a support case? I'd like to take a closer look at your current setup in order to have a better understanding of what you're looking to achieve.  

Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Patricia de Souza

HI Luciana

Yes happy to share ...

As well as the positioning of the dropped items -  I am now struggling with the interaction set up...  it worked with 2 questions, but now I have extended to 10, it no longer works!... another pair of eyes would be appreciated (I'm sure I have set up one of the triggers wrong, but cannot see for looking!!)

It is a bit rough, as it is work in progress, but hopefully you can see what I am trying to achieve!!

(this is what I used as my "inspiration" How Can I Make a Multi-Answer Drag & Drop Quiz? - Articulate Storyline Discussions - E-Learning Heroes)

Patricia de Souza

I worked out why the interaction wasn't working... I was trying to add a hidden true/false "graded question" to enable me to log the answer on a results slide (the training will have several other quiz questions and I need to have them all count towards the final score)... obviously I have not handled that part correctly!...  the interaction works fine when I remove this!

So 1 issue at a time.. the issue of all my drop objects landing on top of each other is the one I do not know how to rectify - some help with this would be appreciated :)

Jose Tansengco

Hello Patricia, 

If you use a freeform drag-and-drop question slide, you'll have the option to select how items are dropped on a target. 

If you use the 'Free' setting, the items will stay on the spot where you drop the objects and won't automatically snap to the middle. You can check out Slide 1.2 in the attached file to give you an idea of how the above solution works. 

Patricia de Souza

Hi Jose

I have not used the free form drag and drop but created my own interaction as I needed multiple drag items to drop on a single drop target - so I have used the trigger "set variable to true when user drops a drag item on the target drop" - and this drops all the objects on top of each other - is it possible to have a "free" drop using this trigger?

Jose Tansengco

Hello Patricia, 

The "free" option is only available for drag-and-drop interactions, and it looks like the slide that you used is a different type of question slide. One design change that you can make is to add a grid or chess board type layout to your slide so your learners will know to drop an icon into each slot, and then placing an invisible shape on top of the area where an icon has already been dropped. 

I'll let other members of the community chime in with their design suggestions so you can explore other options for your requirement!