Drag and Drop

Mar 03, 2014

Hi. I am creating a drag and drop which drags a text box word into a hot spot to fill in the equation. For example, my equation is:

mAh / 1000 x 0.3g x # of cells

Basically, I am dragging and dropping the text box words into the blank equation:

_________/___________X___________X___________.

Here are my questions:

1. how do i make the user drag and drop all of the words before hitting submit?

2. I have the hotspots setup right to the word but sometimes it is not letting me drop the word into that spot and it is correct?

3. is this the best way to do this? I was looking at word banks and I am very new to this, so I am not really sure what the best way is to use the word banks. (I created my own "word bank" on the page)

Thanks!

3 Replies
Daniel Brigham

Hi, Lora:

Good start on the convert to freeform, but for an equation like this, I'd probably do a drag and drop. I've mocked up a quick example (see attached.) With drag-n-drops it also pay to explore the many options regarding the drag object's behavior. See image below. Please let me know what you think. (btw in the example the learner is just to drag the a first and then the b. I couldn't think of a better example.) --Daniel

Lora Alston

HI Daniel.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry, I must have left it out that I did use a drag and drop free form. I made the words a text box to drag into a hot spot. Is that the correct way to do a drag and drop? Another thing, how can i have it tell them if it is correct or not? Do i just have to make the word move back if it is incorrect?

Thanks! 

Daniel Brigham

If you convert the question to freeform, and select drag and drop option, you don't need a hotspot, and I personally wouldn't use on in this situation. With drag and drops (as my mockup shows) you are selecting a drop target (which in this case is the spot in the equation) and a drag object (the value or numeral in the equation). If you want learners to know right away (i.e. before they hit the submit button) if they are correct, select "Return item to start point..." option. See image above. I usually don't check that, though. Doing so makes the question a bit more challenging, and gets the learner to think about their response for a second or two later. But maybe you have a good reason for wanting to give them the immediate feedback.

Let me know if you have any other questions. --Daniel

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.