Drag and drop issues...

Nov 13, 2017

Hi All, 

This is my first post and I am hoping somebody can help. 

I am developing various activities and I am stuck on a drag and drop interaction (which I have never previously had problems). 

I  am not using the freeform drag and drop function, I am building it using custom layers and triggers. 

The issue I am having is the draggable objects return to original position when not dropped correctly. Some of the objects can be dropped anywhere (which is what I am looking for) and others either snap to the correct box or return to the original position.

Ideally I would just like all of the objects to be free from snapping and allow them to be dropped anywhere, is this possible?

I have attached an example video of how the activity is currently working. 

Thanks in advance. 

Craig

8 Replies
Walt Hamilton

While the answer may seem a bit esoteric, it does make sense.

When you create a new state for an object, if you use one of the names in the drop-down menu, you are using a built-in state. Some built-in states come with their own built-in triggers, which you can't see, and can't change. If those triggers do what you want, they can save you a bunch of time. But if they don't and you create your own triggers, your triggers may conflict with theirs. The results are not predictable, and seldom useful, as your course shows.

The solution is simple. For each Drag object, edit the states, copy the Drop Correct state, and give it a new name that the system doesn't use. Then delete the Drop Correct state, close the editor, and edit the trigger to change to the new state.

You have to create your own triggers if you want some objects to  have more than one correct object. The system doesn't allow for that.

Which, of course, means more work checking for the correct answers if you want to do that.

Here's a sample that allows for a variety of answers, which may get you started.

Susi B

Hi Craig,

I adjust your slide so maybe now it´s working like you want it to. It was as I thought a matter of defining your drag and drop objects . If you define them without a right drag or drop object like in the file attached, you can place any drag object on any drop object and now have to trigger the changing states by hand as you already started. :)

Maybe this article helps you to understand drag & drop questions better.

Susi

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.