Drag and Drop Question

Oct 18, 2012

Good morning, Heroes! I have seven color chips - 1 Maroon, 4 Lavender, and 2 Blue. The 4 lavender chips can go to ANY of 4 targets for which lavender is correct (387, 351, 396, OR 278). The 2 blue chips can go to EITHER of two targets for which blue is correct (234 OR 225) , and the only maroon chip (of course) can only go to one correct target (342). I find that a drag item can be assigned only one target, which won't work in this case. Is there a way to do this? Here's a screen shot of the question setup:

8 Replies
Annie Jean

Hi Jeff,

I have to admit that I don't know any ways to do it the way you want it to be, and I am not sure it is possible.

If I had to do it, I would probably ask them to move the planes to the category associated with it (maroon, lavender, blue).

I guess that you already thought about it and wanted to try it the other way around.

Sorry I can't help you more with it...maybe somebody else will come in with new ideas.

Have a nice day!

Annie

I just thought about something else similar... does it have to be graded or only give feedback?

Kevin Thorn

Hi Jeff,

You are correct in that the default drag and drop interaction only allows many-to-one or one-to-one and not one-to-many.

The cool thing with Storyline is combining triggers and variables. You can use variables but there's a way to do this with just a few added triggers.

I'm assuming  you want to "do" something when the colored shapes hit the airplane targets. Whether change the color, add a number to a variable, change a variable from True to False, etc. Whichever, here's an approach:

Add a trigger to your color shapes that do something. In this case we'll use Change State...

Change the State of > colored shape > to new color > when Object Dropped On > airplane shape. 

Yep. That's it. That simple. You can add that trigger to any number of shapes to all land on the same drop target. In fact, you don't even need the drag and drop interaction slide to do this unless you want to use the other features (snap to center, randomize, feedback layers, etc.).

Attached are two simple examples.

- drag one to many

- drag many to one

Good luck!

Kevin 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.