drag and drop results slide.

Dec 18, 2023

Hi, I'm developing a drag-a-drop activity in Storyline for a sustainability course I'm creating for work. 

I want to know if there is a way to make a results slide showing all the items they got wrong or right. 

Is there a way to create a result slide for a drag and drop?

Thanks, 

Nancy 

2 Replies
Judy Nollet

You can't use a Group (image+text box) as a draggable item if you want to track whether it was dragged correctly or not. Why? Because a Group doesn't have States.

So, first, you need to re-do all the draggable items so each draggable item is just one object on the Timeline.

• For example, you could edit the Normal state of an image and insert a text-box into it with the label. Or edit the Normal state of the text box and insert the appropriate picture into it. 

While still in Edit States mode, duplicate the Normal state to give each item a Drop Correct and a Drop Incorrect state. For example, doing this with the Pizza Box image, it would look like this: 

• Drop Correct and Drop Incorrect are built-in states. Storyline will automatically put the object into the appropriate state based on where the user drops it. This allows you to track the user's answer and provide feedback about it.
    • Adjust the Drag & Drop options so the state changes as soon as the user drops an item. 

Redesign the Incorrect layer so there is a "scoring" object for each draggable item. Each scoring object should have custom states to indicate whether the user answered correctly or incorrectly. 

To redesign the Incorrect layer, apply a blank layout. 

Use a trigger to change each scoring object to the appropriate state with a condition that checks the state of the corresponding draggable item. 

The attached file demonstrates how this could work, with changes only made to score the Pizza Box item. There are so many items, that it's hard to fit all the feedback on one layer. I did a not-pretty-but-it-works version just to demonstrate the changes described above. The Incorrect layer in the attached file looks like this: 

Obviously, for the final version, every draggable object would need to be an individual item with Drop Correct and Drop Incorrect states. In addition, the Incorrect layer would need a separate scoring object and trigger for each draggable item. 

If you need some help with the basics, here's the User Guide information about editing states and trigger conditions:

Note: If you want to provide feedback on a different slide, use the state of the draggable items to control a corresponding T/F variable. The program stores the value of a variable, so it's available on any slide to display and/or to use in a trigger condition. Here's more info about variables: https://community.articulate.com/series/articulate-storyline-360/articles/articulate-storyline-360-user-guide-how-to-work-with-variables