Embedding Fonts in published files - July 2022

Jul 26, 2022

I see the embed fonts discussion has been going on for over 8-10 years and yet, when I publish a Storyline file my fonts are still not embedded. Has there been a fix? Advising that I make an image of all unique fonts is pretty crazy as I am inheriting many courses and cannot even find out where the unique fonts exist in the documents. Please advise if this has been fixed. Also, tried checking the option "Display Accessible Fonts by Default" option and end up with scroll bars on all text boxes. There has to be a fix for this so many other applications have been embedding fonts for years.

5 Replies
Jürgen Schoenemeyer

I searching for pros and cons for storyline - I need more infos to assess storyline

do you have the names and types (ttf, otf, ...) of the affected fonts?

storyline converts while publish your fonts to woff (base64, embeded in exportet css) - and this it not possible for all fonts (technical and because of licence)

all fonts I have tested so far were ok

Jürgen

Jose Tansengco

Hello Jeff,

The embedding of the fonts will depend on whether you are referring to editing or publishing a Storyline 360 course. 

For publishing, the font will be embedded in the published output so your learners will see the font you chose when they launch your course. 

For sharing the .story file, the fonts will not be embedded in this case. 

Brett Conlon

Yes, I've been trying to find a solution to using a password font (discussed in this thread HERE) and came to this discussion to confirm if fonts are embedded, so I just tried a small test where:

1. I installed the Password.ttf font
  2. I applied it to my password field
  3. I tested it in Preview (worked OK)
  4. I Published to SCORM 2004 and tested it in Chrome (worked OK)
  5. I then uninstalled the font
  6. I tested it in Chrome again (still worked OK)
  7. Sent the course to my manager (who I KNOW doesn't have the font installed) and the password field worked OK on his machine

I haven't tried it on the LMS, but it appears that the font is successfully being embedded in the SCORM package and is working on machines that DO NOT have the font installed.

I'm very happy this is working as doing the 'white text on a white background' approach for password fields has always bugged me.

Thanks to John for the Password font and to Jose for confirming that embedding fonts in published files should work!