Exporting Survey Reponses that have 5000 Characters

May 10, 2022

Good morning, 

I seem to have issues getting my storyline packages to export more than 250 characters. The question is set up to report 5000 Characters but on both quiz maker and storyline it is only exporting 250 to the LMS. The LMS is confirmed with me the issues is not with them as they used SCROM Cloud to test exporting. Is there something I'm missing that is preventing storyline from exporting answers that have more than 250 characters. 

4 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Alexander.

Thank you for reaching out!

Are you publishing it using SCORM 1.2?

The student response in SCORM 1.2 for the performance interaction type (which is used for a long answer) is limited to an alphanumeric string of 255 characters or less.

Are you able to publish in a different format, such as SCORM 2004? This change will give you more flexibility with text entry for student responses. 

I hope this helps!

Jose Tansengco

Hi Alexander, 

I'm sorry to hear that you ran into this issue. I did a test on a new project file and I can confirm that the essay survey question slide is not sending more than 256 characters to the LMS even though the essay slide has a maximum allowable input of 5000 characters. As my colleague mentioned, this behavior is a limitation of SCORM 1.2, but given that the interaction also doesn't work in SCORM 2004, I would classify this as a bug. 

I’ve linked this post to our bug report so we can notify you as soon as a fix is released! Here's how we define bugs and how we tackle them when they occur. Thanks for taking the time to bring this to our attention!