Flash / HTML5

Oct 23, 2020

Hi Community,

I have a simple question relating to the end of Flash at the close of the year.

If a course is published with the Flash / HTML5 setting (see below), will it still work as it should once Flash is no more?

I expect they will work OK but just want to double check...

Thanks in advance!Flash / HTML5

30 Replies
Victor Madison

Although there is some security risk advertised, I did not un-install/delete the Flash Player from my computer because I had a suspicion these cases would come up. So, I am ready to repair my client's issues with Storyline files I developed with flash included. Best Regards,
Victor E. Madison SR

Daniel Church

Hi,

I have a number of older courses which were published as Flash with HTML5 fall back... These are no longer working in Internet Explorer (Flash disabled message) but in all other browsers the HTML5 version of the content is loading and they work fine.

My question is: Is this a known issue which applies across the board with any Flash / HTML5 content which is now accessed in IE? My problem is that I have a number of users for who IE11 is their default browser... Courses that have been built by my team aren't a problem as we're republishing them as HTML5 only. However, we also have a range of third party content which has the same issue and we cannot republish as we don't have / own the files.

Thanks

Dan

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Dan,

What software was used to publish the older courses? Please note that HTML5 output from Storyline 1, Storyline 2, and Studio ‘13 works in Google Chrome and Safari. However, it won’t work reliably in other browsers. 

How the End of Flash Affects Articulate Apps and Courses

If Storyline 3 or Storyline 360, I'd check the compatibility view settings.

Mike Mohr

I found a plug in that emulates flash and have had some success playing eLearnings that weren't encoded with any html 5. https://ruffle.rs/  We have a few that no one knew about and unfortunately we don't have the source file. We were looking for ways to at least play them and do screen captures or recordings. So far though I have not been able to play anything that was created with Presenter or Engage from pre Storyline days.