Forcing quiz completion

Nov 07, 2018

Hi all,

I've been hunting through the forum and tutorials for answers to these questions and have been unable to find them.

We need to be able to enforce that the learner complete a quiz at the end of a course once they start it. So, if they close the course window before completing the quiz and they come back in, we want course resume to do two things:

• Reset quiz scoring from the earlier session to zero (as if they never started the quiz).

AND
  • Take them back to the instruction page before the quiz starts.

Basically, we don't want them to be able to pick back up where they left off in the middle of the quiz.

Is any of this possible? I'm using Storyline 360, we publish to TinCan (and can also publish to SCORM, if necessary), and we have an LMS.

Thank you in advance,

Lisa

9 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hey Lisa! That's an interesting scenario, and I have a couple of ideas for you.

First, did you know you can submit all quiz questions at once? In other words, all the questions would be submitted at the same time at the end of the quiz. I wanted to share that option with you in case that would work as an alternative.

Now, back to your idea. You mentioned you want to trigger the quiz to restart if the learner closes the course in the middle of the quiz. Storyline doesn't have any event trigger that monitors the browser closing or opening, so there isn't a built-in way to achieve this.

It might be possible to catch the learner closing the browser window using Javascript. Then you could possibly use that data to change a variable value. I'll leave the specifics of that method to the community because Javascript is definitely outside my wheelhouse. 

I look forward to seeing what the community will share with you!

Lisa Spirko

Hi Alyssa,

I'm not sure the stakeholders for this project will want all quiz questions submitted at once. It sounds like this means the learner can click the previous button to change answers on earlier questions, and I'm not sure they'll want this. I'll have to check with them.

However, how does the submit all quiz questions at once option address the requirements I listed? Doesn't this still save their answers from one session to another? We really want to prevent them from being able to leave and come back in the middle of the quiz, as we were able to configure our Lectora courses this way.

I welcome any input from the community on your JavaScript idea. I do think I would need to be able to track when the browser is closed or opened or when the course is being relaunched from the LMS in order for a variable to work.

Thanks,
Lisa

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Lisa, thanks for clarifying!

I suggested the "submit all at once" option in case you were concerned about users getting immediate feedback and finding out whether their answer was correct or incorrect, but actually it sounds like the real issue is learners leaving the quiz and returning to complete it later.

In that case, I'm thinking the Javascript method may be the best option for you. 

📣 Sending out an all-call for our Javascript experts to lend a hand here!

Lisa Spirko

Hi Crystal! For some reason, I didn't get an email notification about your comment here. Sorry! I worked around it using variables and triggers.

Here's a summary of what I've done. An example file is attached for your perusal.

In player settings:

• Menu navigation and Next/Previous buttons are set to Restricted.
  • On restart field under Resume is set to Never Resume.

In the quiz:

• An instruction page with a Start Quiz button that, among other things, has a Reset Results trigger on it.
  • On the failure layer of the results slide, a Retake button with a Reset Results trigger, followed by a trigger to jump back to instruction page. (The reset trigger here is probably redundant, but just wanted to be safe.)

(There are other variables and triggers on these pages related to showing them a message if they fail at three attempts and allowing them to see the wrong answers, but that's probably not related to this issue.)

In Publish > Tracking:

• When the learner completes a quiz check box is selected.

The result of these settings and triggers/variables is to always force the quiz to launch to the instruction page, and to always reset the quiz results upon starting it. If the learner closes the quiz in the middle, it should show as incomplete, and if they relaunch it, it will restart at the beginning (the instruction page). When they click the Start Quiz button, any earlier results are reset. I've had this set up for a couple of years, and as far as I know, there haven't been any problems with it.

Hope this helps!

Lisa

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.