Guidance on making courses section 508 compliant in Storyline

Sep 23, 2013

I published my courses as HTML5. One of my test users is visually impaired and reported that he could not

use ctrl + + to zoom in to see the text. My questions are:

• Is this a limitation of the HTML5 output?
  • Is there another way to allow zooming for HTML5?
  • Is there a target date when HTML output will be 508 compliant?
  • Do you have guidelines on how courses need to be designed and developed to be section 508 compliant?

Thanks!

Ejuana

17 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Ejuana,

The Flash based output is 508 compliant, but not currently the HTML% or Articulate Mobile player offers 508 compliance as described here.  I don't have information about a future update to ensure compliance within the HTML5 output, but you're welcome to share your thoughts with our development team by submitting a feature request. 

Hi Ejuana,

The zooming is available in HTML5, but objects are not vectored in HTML5 output, so they may look blurry or pixelated in zoom regions

I tried the CTRL ++ on my own, and see the behavior you're talking about where it doesn't zoom in, but does shift the course image down. I'm not certain the reasoning behind this, but if you'd like to share it as a feature request with our development team please do so here. 

Ejuana Mitchell

Hi Ashley,

By the way, I noticed the course image is shifted down with the html file also - without using html5.

I found a way to make the information on the screen larger. I checked again the limitations with HTML5 and saw that the player properties can be changed to scale the player to fill the browser window:

If I need to continue publishing in HTML5, scaling the player size does help a little without needing to use ctrl ++ to zoom and 

I can also add zoom regions to make important areas larger.

I think Storyline HTML5 output not working with Ctrl + + is more a problem rather than a feature request, since other programs that produce HTML5 output work with Ctrl + +. I'll submit a report.

Thanks

Ejuana Mitchell

I'm revisiting this topic...

If I publish a Storyline Course in HTLM5 on an iPad or an iPhone, the course will NOT have accessibility features, even though

it is running on a device that DOES  have accessibility features - is that correct?

For example, the learner won't be able to zoom by using a pinch open/close gesture?

Thanks,

Ejuana

Craig Mill

In the UK we have similar legislation (The Equalities Act) which stipulates learning materials ('e' or otherwise) must be accessible and I'm afraid it's a major disadvantage of Storlyine in so many ways. In a recent project using Storyline: http://www.aacscotland.org.uk/Online-Learning-Modules/ we had to create a 'text' version, otherwise our client would not accept the Flash/HTML output. The Word export option isn't good enough as it just exports a bunch or images in a Word document which is completely pointless. Please make Accessiblity a priority!

Hi Craig,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. I know our product development team is looking at accessibility issues especially with updates to Storyline 2 - and it may help to share some specific thoughts with them in the form of a feature request here.  That way you can outline some specific items or details that are necessary in the UK and for your clients. 

Maxine Wesley

Hi,

Is there any way I can enable visually impaired learners to access the course using the Articulate Player on their iPads?  I've tried Apple's Voiceover but moving my finger over the content when the Player loads doesn't find anything to say.

If not, do you know of any other way they can access the course on an iPad using a screen reader?

Craig Mill

Hi Vicki,

As far as I'm aware this is an issue with Articulate Player as I've tried it myself with VoiceOver and it's unable to read content.

I haven't tried this but when you export your learning content un-tick the box 'Use Articulate Mobile Player on iPad' but ensure the box 'Include HTML5 output' is ticked. This means you'll be able to view the content in the devices (iPad - Safari?) browser without being forced to use the Player. Hopefully, VoiceOver should be able to read the HTML 5 output.

Regards
Craig

Maxine Wesley

Thanks for that suggestion Craig, I gave it a go and exported in HTML without ticking the box for the Articulate player.  When I viewed it on the iPad VoiceOver read out the player items such as the 'prev' and 'next' buttons and even the menu items on the left where all my titles are but it couldn't see / read the actual content in the main section of the slide.

And, thanks Ashley, do you know if this is something you guys are working on?  I’ve created a feature request - I really do think this is important.  We’re seeing a lot more of our users using iPads and other tablets to access their courses.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.