Help us improve Storyline 360 & Accessibility

Apr 10, 2024

Hi, E-Learning Heroes community members!

I'm Ronnie Pilman, Senior QA Engineer and Accessibility Lead for Storyline 360 at Articulate, here to give you an update on accessibility—and ask you for a favor.

Let’s start with the update and a refresher on our goals. Our mission is to move accessibility in Storyline 360 beyond Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) standards. We want all learners—regardless of ability—to be able to navigate Storyline 360 content effectively with any web browser, device, or assistive technology. And we want to make creating accessible courses easier for authors.

To do that, we are continually improving our products to address accessibility issues and make enhancements. Most recently, we added customization options for closed captions to ensure they’re easy to see and don’t obstruct critical content. We also made all the modern player controls compliant with the latest WCAG 2.2 guidance and fixed a bug that was preventing learners from using the ESC key to close player tabs and the accessibility settings menu. (Dive into the complete list of enhancements and fixes for all the details.)

That leads us to the ask. As we plan for future Storyline 360 improvements, we need your feedback to help guide our next steps. What areas of accessibility do you think require the most attention? How can we serve you and your learners better? To let us know, please complete this short survey: https://research.articulate.com/storylinea11y.

The survey will be open until May 7, 2024. We’d love to hear from you before then.

Thanks,
Ronnie Pilman (He/Him/His)
Senior QA Engineer II
CPACC

3 Replies
Sam Hill

Looking forward to the outcomes from this survey. I think SL has come a long way in recent years, but still quite a long way behind what is possible hand coding. I'd love to be able to get to the stage of testing SL content, and not having to give allowances as the content is built in SL360. I'd like to be as tough on SL360 content as I am on hand coded content.

I think some major enhancements could be providing the ability group elements into containers that could then have aria attributes added such as aria-live.

Being able to programmatically change the screen reader focus would be a big leap for developers and provide the ability to provide a good end user experience when reading the content with a screen reader.

ben jok

Enhancing Storyline 360 with features like grouping elements into containers with ARIA attributes and programmatically changing screen reader focus would greatly improve accessibility. These additions could empower developers to create content that meets high accessibility standards and rivals hand-coded solutions. Continued feedback and advancements in tools like SL360 are crucial for bridging the accessibility gap in e-learning content.