Help with states!

Aug 23, 2022

Hello all,

I need some help troubleshooting states in a pre-built freeform. I want buttons to change once they are clicked on again but it is not working (clicked and unclicked)... any tips?

Thanks so much!

4 Replies
Ron Price

By Free form - are you referring to a question type? What type of question are you building?  If you are building a Pick Many - an easy solution would be to let Storyline generate the "Selected" state for you which will allow you to select and deselect.

You may need to remove freeform and then convert back to freeform-pick many.

Paula De Maria Campos

Thank you for the quick response, Ron! That is exactly what I did however, when I preview the slide and the second attempt comes around the button state will not deselect or reset, if that makes sense, here is a quick screencast. It will also not show the incorrect layer to advance to the next slide but instead goes on to unlimited attempts even though I have set it to two attempts.

Thanks so much for the help!

Ron Price

Thanks for the video - it looks like this could be in how your states were set up in the grouped objects.  I noticed that you selected the larger circles on the first attempt and the smaller circles on the retry.  You really do not need the reset to initial state option here, since you have never left the slide, as long as the trigger on the try again layer is the traditional "hide Layer" trigger.  If you have modified that trigger to jump to the current slide, then you will need it.  But this will also reset your count of how many times the question has been attempted, which now means your 2 attempts will be unlimited.  If that is the case, and you need it to reset, you will need to use variables now to limit the attempts.