Help with trigger

Jan 29, 2016

Hi, I'm attempting to move learners to a slide without a Next button only after they've visited and viewed all the slides within groups that I've set up. I have outlines around the pictures/groups set to show visited after the hotspot over it is clicked. How can I set up the trigger/variables, etc. so that the slide doesn't automatically move on to the End slide with the Next button until all 4 groupings have been visited/reviewed? Right now, it's moving on after only 3 groupings are visited. Thanks in advance for your help.

Deb

3 Replies
Walt Hamilton

Deb,

Tessa is right, and you definitely have to do what she suggests,

I would make three other changes

1. Change the trigger that jumps to the end hub to "Jump to hub when timeline starts (*D) if MoveOn1 = True (*C) AND MoveOn2 = True AND MoveOn3 = True And MoveOn4 = True. You don't need MoveOn5 (*A)

2. Delete the triggers on the hub slide that change the variables.(*A) (*E)

3.Rename the states of the pictures. (*B)

The letters reference the explanations below, but they are wordy, and if you want to skip them, it won't hurt my feelings.

*A. If I could offer some philosophical advice, I am from the less is better school. That means the fewer moving parts, the fewer things there are that can go wrong. The fewer parts, the shorter the debugging path.

*B. One thing that can cause problems that are difficult to track down is the names of states. You shouldn't use the system names for states if you are going to create custom behaviors. System names are the names already on the list, even if they aren't yet being used, and "visited" is one of them. It will follow its built-in action without a trigger. If you write your own trigger, they may have strange conflicts.   Either let the system change to visited state on its own, or use your trigger to change it to a state with a custom name, like Completed.

*C. Six weeks from now, you are going to come back to this navigation, and think "This should advance to the end when all 5 MoveOn variables are true. I know, this may be just a personal thing with me, but when you come back later and do review or maintenance work on a project, you will need good documentation or intuitive variable names and behaviors to help you figure out what is going on. T/F variables default to T, but even now, you can change their default to F, and when it is time to MoveOn, set them to true. You program will work the same either way, but if I have to come in and do upgrades, I will bless you for making this simple change.

*D. I know when you use the wizard to write triggers, that when you get to the "When" part, it presents you with the choice to choose "State of...", but it shouldn't. "When state of ..." is not an action, so it does not fire triggers. Any trigger based on it acts inconsistently. For example, I could not get your program to advance no matter what I did, and you saw it advancing after 3 groups. You should initiate trigger actions with actions (like when the timeline starts, or when user clicks). On the other hand, states work very well in the conditions of triggers.

*E. Setting the variables to the "OK to move on" state should be done by the Next button on the slides at the end of each group, just before the trigger that returns the user to the Hub slide. That is closer to indicating completion of he material than clicking the button to start the material. It also allows you to check the state of the variables when you return to the Hub slide, and if all sections are completed, to move on, which is what you want.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.