Hiding the NEXT Button

Feb 24, 2023

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if you guys have confronted a similar situation before in Storyline. What have you done if you wanted to hide the NEXT button until the learner goes through all the clickable objects in a slide?
I made it happen in such a way that I put up two triggers.

Trigger 1:
change the state of the NEXT button to HIDDEN
when the timeline starts on this slide
if all the states of clickable objects = NOT VISITED

Trigger 2:
change the state of the NEXT button to NORMAL
when states of all clickable objects = VISITED

In this way, I could get the NEXT button visible, even if the learner revisits that slide. I would like to know if there are any other ways to do it. I have seen people using variables for it. What are your thoughts on it?

7 Replies
Judy Nollet

Elroy, I think your solution is fine.

• Yes, it's possible to use a variable in the trigger conditions, but then you'd need extra programming to control the variable. So that solution is great when you need to track what happened across multiple slides.
  • Since this is all on one slide with objects that have a Visited state, I think it makes the most sense to use states in the conditions.

The only suggestion I have is this: change the NEXT button to Disabled. That keeps it in its place and also keeps the PREV button in its place. (When NEXT is Hidden, the PREV button moves into that area. And someone might click it thinking they're clicking NEXT--and be very confused when they're at the previous slide.)

Cheryl White

Hello,

I published my course to Review 360 and had several reviewers state that they could not advance to the next slide. I designed the course so that the next button is hidden until a particular object is clicked. I tested the project before I uploaded it and in Review 360 and it worked fine for me. Could it be related to the browser that they're using?

Thanks,

Cheryl

Jose Tansengco

Hi Cheryl,

I don't think the behavior you're experiencing is browser related. It sounds like one or more of your trigger conditions is not being met which is preventing the next button from changing into a clickable state. 

Would you be willing to share a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case so we can take a look at your project's current setup? We'll delete it when we're done testing!