Hotspot Triggers

Jul 20, 2018

Hi everyone! I am trying to develop an interaction to include in my Rise course that I made in Storyline. I am very new to Storyline, so I'm learning as I go. Tutorials and some discussions here have helped, but I'm have trouble with the following:

1. I created three clickable hotspots that I want learners to be able to click on to listen to an audio file (the fourth hotspot I haven't completed yet).

2. I want learners to be able to click on any of the icons to listen.

3. I can get the first icon to play but none of the others.

4. I included triggers and layers but I'm not sure I've done them correctly.

5. I suspect there's something I need to do to my timeline.

Can anyone take a look at my screenshots to get an idea of what's going wrong? Thanks in advance!

Base Layer

Layer 1

Layer 2

Layer 3

Jenny

3 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hey Jenny!

So glad to see you're checking out Storyline 360! I've got a few ideas for you.

First, let's focus on the base layer. You'll want to add a trigger to each emblem. For example, "Show Layer Robert1 when the user clicks the first emblem," "Show Layer Jim when the user clicks the second emblem," and so on.

Next, check the layer properties for each layer. Be sure "Hide other slide layers" is enabled. This will prevent the audio from overlapping if the learner selects another emblem before the first one finishes playing.

Finally, you actually don't need any triggers on your slide layers. You'll want to remove the Hotspots and remove all triggers from the slide layers. When the user clicks the emblem on the base layer, the slide layer will open, and the audio will play automatically. 

Give it a try, and let me know how it goes! If you still need help, attach the slide to a new reply. I'm happy to lend a hand!

Jenny Ashley

Hi Alyssa! That worked perfectly! I was overthinking it. :p

One more question: I checked and all the layers have "Hide other slide layers" enabled, but I can still click on the other emblems and the audio then overlaps. I don't see the option to enable that on the base layer, so am I missing something?

Thanks so much for your help!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.