How to trigger an immediate file download on a storyline 360 project?

May 10, 2019

Hello everyone!  

My today's challenge is: trigger an immediate file download on a storyline 360 project :)

I need to add a download button on my project that allows users to DOWNLOAD a pdf when they click it. 

I don't what the Resource tab, and I've already tried the following:

1. Uploaded my pdf where my .storyline source file is

2. I linked the file to my download button using the trigger Jump to URL/File [Name of pdf]

When I implement this last strategy though, what happens is that the pdf file opens in a new browser window, and I'm trying to understand if there is a way to trigger an immediate download. Or is this a functionality that Storyline 360 does not have?

Thank you! :) 

Valentina 

1 Reply
Brian Allen

Hello Valentina, I don't believe this is a question of SL functionality, I think you're doing everything correct there, but it's a question of browser settings.

Especially with PDF documents, most browsers will open the PDF in a new window or tab, depending on what the user has her/his browser settings set. It's been a long time since downloading a PDF was standard for browser functionality.

The only way I can think of that you could make this happen would be to ZIP the PDF, and the trade off there is finding a format that would work on both PC and Mac, many users struggle to open a zip file, and it is inconvenient for the user.

You may consider just adding instructions for the user to download the PDF, using the in browser download button that displays with PDF documents.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.