HTML5 with Flash Fallback

Oct 08, 2018

We are preparing to convert several of our eLearning courses that were created in earlier versions of Storyline and have a few general questions. We have a customer base that  uses all different browsers and versions of browsers.  My main question is – is there any downside to publishing to HTML5 with Flash fallback long term?  So, someday when everyone has the right minimum browser requirement and they open a course with the flash fallback, will that behave differently than a course that is published to HTML5 only?  Are there other considerations for adding the Flash fallback?

3 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Cynthia,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your questions.

Publishing with HTML5 first and Flash fallback means learners will see HTML5 output if they’re using a supported HTML5 browser (Storyline 360). If not, they’ll see Flash output.

This article shares similar information as well.

You may encounter more issues now if publishing to HTML5 only for those still utilizing Flash. Here's some additional information about what we're doing in preparation as well.

Hopefully others in the community will weigh in on what they are doing in preparation as well.

Cynthia Mortenson

Thank you Leslie!  I have another question . . . (the answer may be an obvious one but I'm not 100% sure so I have to ask).  If you have a course that has Flash videos embedded within the course and it is published to HTML5 or HTML5 w/Flash fallback I'm assuming the videos will not play once the Flash plug-in is disabled.  Is that a correct assumption?  

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.