Image placeholders not showing images in Preview or Review 360

Feb 20, 2023

I'm in the process of updating an older training from 2021 that used image placeholders, and for some reason the images do not show in Preview or when published to Review 360. I've ensured they are not hidden in the timeline, and there's nothing on top of them.  When I scrub through using the timeline visualization tool the image shows. Anyone know why this might be happening, or something else that I should be looking at? I'm not sure if this is significant or not, but in the course image library, each of these images show as "not used" in the Alt Text field.  

4 Replies
Eric Santos

Hi Michelle,

I'm sorry to hear you're hitting this snag! Weird behaviors like these are sometimes caused by file corruption, so I'd like to help rule that out first. Try importing the slides of your Storyline project to a new one, and see if the images will appear as expected in the imported slides. Here's how:

If the issue persists, would you be willing to share a copy of your Storyline file here or privately through a support case so we can take a look at it? We'll delete it when we're done testing! 

Therese White

Hi Eric and Michelle, thanks for bringing this up.  In my case, we are using character images on specific question slides, which change to a specified state (hidden) for correct/incorrect layers.  While the images display on the feedback layers, it doesn't show when you are in your reviewing responses.  I tried importing the entire SL file into a new Storyline, but it didn't show anything corrupted.   I also went to my Media Library Images tab.  They are imported and used.  (For layer settings - didn't select the checkmark for the feedback layers hiding objects on the base layer.  While publishing may not be the issue, I am publishing as Scorm 2004.)  It would be great to find out what the cause is.  Thanks! 

Steven Benassi

Hi Therese!

Thanks for reaching out and sharing the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far! It sounds like you've hit a snag with character images not appearing on all of the slides across your Storyline course. I'd be happy to help with this and have some follow-up questions to start.

If the issue persists, we'd be happy to take a closer look at the affected .story file and test the behavior on our end. You can share it here in the discussion or privately through a support case. We'll delete it from our system as soon as we're finished!

Looking forward to hearing from you!