Keyboard Navigation

Jul 21, 2014

Hello all!

I'm having some problems with keyboard navigation of SL content. I can't tab in and I can't tab out. If I tab from the browser address bar, I get as far as the containing div in the iFrame and then I'm stuck--can't go back and can't go forward. IF I click inside the iFrame, I can navigate through buttons via the tab key, but it's a keyboard trap--I can't get out. (This is true in Firefox, Explorer, and Chrome.)

Any solutions out there?

Thanks in advance!

Allyson

4 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Allyson,

It could be a couple of things;

First, it could be how you're viewing the course. If you're viewing your published files locally, this may be the problem. If you view a published Storyline presentation on your local hard drive or send it to someone else to view on their local hard drive, you'll encounter security restrictions from the computer, web browser, Flash Player, and network that'll cause various features of your content to fail.

To properly test your published content and share it with others, upload it to the environment for which it was published. Please review the article below for more information:

Publishing and Sharing Articulate Storyline Content

• I suggest using SCORM Cloud for your course - it's a great place to test SCORM content.
  • Another option would be to use our Tempshare server. Just keep in mind that this server is only available for testing content - it is not officially supported by Articulate and all content will be removed automatically after 10 days.
  • You're always welcome to try out Articulate Online, as well - it's available for a free 30 day trial.

It may also be the type of content you're working with and how the browser reacts to the keys you're using to navigate the course.

Another element may be that the objects and/or fields you're wanting to tab to don't have the option enabled. I recommend taking a look at the following article:

Articulate Support - Yellow Box Appears When Pressing the Tab Key

It may also have something to do with the order of which the objects appear on your slide. If you have objects that you'd like to select that are behind other objects, or grouped, you may have trouble targeting using keys. For example, if you have a text field that you'd like to select using Tab, try moving that box to the front of the slide, or top of the timeline.

Please let us know how it goes!

Christine

Allyson Miller

Thanks for your response, Christine, but it doesn't address my problem. My issue is not keyboard navigation WITHIN the swf file. (I can move from link to link, no problem.) My issue is with keyboard navigation from the html housing the swf to the inside of the swf itself and back out again. I'm testing in my server, not locally, so that's definitely not the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

Allyson

Christie Pollick

Hi, Ana!

Since this thread is a little bit older, Allyson may not be subscribed to it any longer, so you could use the 'contact me' feature on her profile if you would like to reach out to her directly. One thing you may want to try is testing your output in a few different hosting solutions to determine if the site you are using itself may be part of the issue. Otherwise, for further investigation of your issue, you are welcome to submit a support case. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.