Mouse over effect

Jan 19, 2018

Hey guys,

I hope you're well.

I'm using quite a lot of mouse over effects in my project linked with audio. The idea is that the effect occurs on mouse over and then is removed when the user moves their mouse. However, I've noticed that the effect sometimes sticks. For example, if you click the button quickly numerous times the mouse over effect sticks and doesn't remove when the mouse is moved.

Is there a way to stop this from occurring?

Regards,

Suleman

4 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi Suleman.  It sounds like you're doing a really thorough job testing out your course.  It would be helpful for me to see the setup if you're able to share your .story file here.

I would look for what is appearing when you mouse over the object - do you have a shape that changes to a normal state from hidden?  Are you showing another layer?  Sometimes these other objects could interfere with the "restore when mouse leaves" option when hovering and clicking in those areas very quickly.

Suleman Rathor

Hi Crystal,

Thanks for your reply.

I have attached the file. If you keep clicking the hotspot fast you will see what I mean. The mouse over effect sticks.

I've used a shape state which is linked to a hotspot trigger. So on the mouse over the shape trigger appears to highlight a letter. I've also added sound to the file which can be heard when a user clicks.

Thanks for your help!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Suleman,

Thanks for sharing your file with me! I'm seeing a bug in Storyline 360 where the hover state "sticks" after repeatedly clicking the mouse if you're also using a "Play Media" trigger. This only happens in HTML5 output, and it generally happens if you're also using a  trigger to change the state of an object when the mouse hovers over it.

To fix this, try removing the hotspots. Also, you can remove the "Change state of Oval to Hover" trigger, since the Oval will change state automatically when the mouse hovers over it.

Finally, adjust the "Play Media" trigger to play when the mouse clicks the Oval, not the hotspot.

Give that a try, and let me know if you see an improvement!

Katie Riggio

Great news, Suleman!

We fixed the issue you reported where the "Mouse hovers over" trigger did not work correctly when paired with the "Play Media" one in the HTML5 output.

Here's how you can update Storyline 360 to see all the latest features and fixes. If this problem resurfaces, please record a Peek 360 screencast for me, and I'll be happy to help!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.