Narration

Nov 29, 2020

I have a slide and this is what I want it to do, all of which I had working until I added the animation and narration. 

Slide 1 has 4 images (created as jpgs and grouped to a text box), when selected lead you to 3 modules and a final quiz. Learner can click on any image in any order except the quiz. It is disabled until you go through all three modules. When you click on an image , you go through those questions, it leads you back to Slide 1 and gives it a check mark. You select another image  the another module, same thing. Do the same for the last image, the quiz image is enabled, take the quiz, 👌🏾.

All of this worked until I decided to add narration and animations to the images. I wanted each image  to appear (wipe) as the narrator says it. 

When I added the narration, now, when the learner comes back to Slide 1, the narration and animations start again. 

I duplicated the slide, let’s call it slide 2, without the narration and animations  and point everything back to Slide 2. Now I am just “lost”. 😞

Thank you to anyone who comes to my rescue😌

1 Reply
Judy Nollet

Hi, Dina,

It's harder to troubleshoot without seeing the Storyline file, but I'll give it a try. 

I'm assuming you used variables and conditions to control the button states and checkmarks on the first slide. And it sounds like the triggers are set to execute when the timeline starts. That all worked.

Then you added animations and narration on the timeline, and you don't want to repeat those on revisiting. So do this:

• On the menu slide, change the Slide Properties to "Resume saved state," so the base timeline won't replay the animations and narration when the user revisits the slide.
  • Put the triggers that control the buttons on a blank layer, and set the Layer Properties to "Reset to initial state."
  • Add a trigger on the base layer to show that blank layer when the timeline starts.
  • Result: The layer will remain open, and its timeline will replay when the user revisits the slide. That will make the triggers execute and adjust the buttons/checkmarks based on the trigger conditions. 

I hope that makes sense. FYI: This post has my full instructions for how to create a custom menu slide:

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/building-better-courses/create-a-custom-menu-slide 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.