Navigation Help

Sep 07, 2016

I was asked by my client to restrict learners from jumping ahead in the course until the audio and/or interactivity on the page was complete.  I did this by changing the state of the Next button to disabled when the timeline begins and active when the timeline ends.  One of the reviewers mentioned it is cumbersome to go back and review sections of the course since they cannot click around slides already completed with impunity (meaning the Previous and Next buttons are unlocked once a slide has already been visited).  Is there a fix for this where when a person takes the course they must review each slide linearly and cannot click on Next until the slide is finished but if they go back to a slide already taken, they can leave the slide in the middle of it by clicking the navigation buttons?   Thank you for your help!

10 Replies
J G

I did that and also set next button to be disabled upon timeline start and normal when timeline ends.  What i need to do is to have the next button unlocked after a learner has completed the slide.  For example, if they click back three slides on the menu to review slides they have already completed, I need the Next button enabled for those slides.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Jeri! You cannot change the navigation restrictions via the player within the same course. I would advise utilizing your next button settings so that your user can re-visit those slides without restriction. You'll want to review the attached file though, as even re-visiting a Resume Saved State slide can cause difficulty as well.

Here is some information, as well as a sample file that may assist:

Since the previous/next buttons are set to be hidden at the start of the slide via triggers, when returning to the slide the command given to Storyline is to hide the buttons as soon as the slide starts. The slide is resuming the saved state of the previous/next buttons as expected, but then the triggers tell Storyline to hide them as soon as the slide loads.

This is where applying the conditions to those initial triggers will come into play - as you’ll want to adjust the next/previous buttons to “hidden” only if the user has not visited this slide before. You’ll see this set up in the file I attached that has that trigger/condition set up associated with the state change of the next player button.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Jeri!

I'm not sure if you looked at the example file that I shared above, but it should be able to assist you.

It looks like you built all the variables, but did not put any of them to use.

I updated your slide 2 with what I think you are looking for. 

1. Slide properties updated to Resume Saved State

2. Adjust variable trigger added to Next button, so that user is required to watch the first time

3. Added a condition on the trigger to Make the next button disabled when the timeline starts - IF the slide has not been viewed yet (as marked by the variable I mentioned above).

Your file is attached. Again, I only did the one slide.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.