Need Help (SL360): Disable NEXT button unless slide already visited

Apr 19, 2021

Hi folks -

Is there an elegant/simple way to disable the NEXT button for an initial visit to a slide but keep the NEXT button enabled for all subsequent visits to that slide?

I'm aware of the Slide Properties "When Revisiting" field already, but this doesn't apply to my situation. Basically, I would like to reset a slide to its initial state (all of the content on it - a drag/drop interactivity) if a learner returns to the slide, but I don't want to disable the NEXT button as well.

My current triggers disable the NEXT button on the base layer when the timeline starts and re-enable the NEXT button when the feedback layer is visited.

Is there a quick way to make this happen?

Thank you!

Ash

5 Replies
Judy Nollet

Hi, Rich,

There's a very elegant/simple way to do what you want. Just set the Menu Options to Restricted navigation.

Notes:

• This disables the Next button until the timeline ends. At that point, it enables Next. And it won't disable it again when the user revisits the slide. (You can override that with custom triggers to control Next.)
  • If you show the built-in Menu, Restricted navigation prevents the user from advancing to a new slide by clicking the Menu. But they can use the Menu to return to any previously viewed slide.
  • Restricted navigation controls the Next button even if you don't show the built-in Menu.
  • This doesn't impact the Slide Properties for revisiting (i.e., the reset or resume options).
Walt Hamilton

Use a variable to indicate that the feedback layer has been visited. You can reset the slide, but variables aren't affected by resets. Create it as T/F with an initial value of False, and Next set to Normal.

Change state of Next to Disabled when the timeline starts on this slide if variable FeedbackVisited = False. Then on the feedback layer, instead of enabling Next, use this trigger: Change variable FeedbackVisited to True when [whatever action now enables the Next button].

Tom Kuhlmann

If you have a trigger that disables Next button when slides starts that will always happen when you revisit the slide. So you want a condition on the trigger.

Use a T/F variable to track what you need to track for the initial visit. For example, variable SlideVisited is set to False initially. Then there's a trigger to set SlideVisited to True when something happens. 

Then put a condition to disable the Next button when slide starts on the condition that variable SlideVisited is = F. The first time the button is disabled, the second time, it isn't because the variable has changed from F to T.