NEW IN STORYLINE 360: Accessible Player

Feb 04, 2020

We’re really excited to share this new update to Storyline 360: the accessible player.

With the new accessible player, learners can use a broader range of screen readers, web browsers, and devices—and take advantage of more screen reader features. Plus, learners can use the improved playback controls and menus to navigate the player more easily.

This one is definitely a win for learners.

46 Replies
Carie Whitehead

I've been looking for more info on this and haven't found it yet. Is this on both the classic and modern player or just modern? Are there any more details (such as what screen readers are now supported or any browser limitations) listed anywhere? I'm excited about this and am currently designing our team's templates and guidelines for 2020 courses so what to use this the best I can.

Stephanie Savely

Carie -

It's both players.

"Learners have more screen reader choices. They can use NVDA, VoiceOver (macOS, iOS, iPadOS), TalkBack, and JAWS with our supported browsers on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices. (Note: JAWS has limited support for Microsoft Edge.)"

Specifics are found here:

https://articulate.com/support/article/Storyline-360-Accessible-Player 

Ren Gomez

Hi Stephanie, 

That's correct! You'll have to re-export your course using Update 36, which is the latest version of Storyline 360. It became available on January 21st, 2020, so if you updated since then, you should be good to go!

While more work remains, we're at a point where we're confident the work done so far delivers meaningful real-world improvements for learners with accessibility needs. I've included links below where you can find all the details on what this means for Storyline 360 Update 36:

You'll also find our general FAQ on accessibility in Articulate 360 tools here.

This release makes it significantly easier for those users to perceive, operate, and understand content published with Storyline, while opening up more choices of browser, assistive technology, and devices for the first time. Learners will benefit from the vast majority of these improvements, even when the course author is not designing their course for accessibility. 

If you have any questions or concerns, let us know here or reach out to our Support team. We know there is more to do, so we'll continue to keep you posted about future releases.

Noel Sapp

Looking at the version history page, it reads as though this update is for a Rise 360 issue with jumping to Storyline blocks. Do you know if this update touches on any of the issues posted since the January 21 build of v3.36.21213.0?

Other users have included additional issues and details in these threads since their original postings.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Ren Gomez

Hi Stephanie,

While we don't have detailed documentation on quiz navigation yet, I'd be happy to give an overview of how this affects a multiple choice question as an example.

• Using a screen reader: You'll use normal screen reader navigation keys (depending on which screen reader you're using) to move through a multiple-choice question, then press spacebar or Enter to select an answer choice.
  • Using keyboard-only: You'll tab to the radio button group and then use the arrow keys to cycle through the radio buttons. Sighted keyboard-only users don't need to press spacebar or Enter to select an answer; each radio button is auto-selected as you cycle through them. When you land on the answer choice you want, press tab to move past the radio button group.

I hope this provides some guidance, and please let me know if you need other specifics!

Diane Elkins

Hello, Ren, thanks for the info on the quiz navigation. I'm not experiencing what you described with a screen reader. When I go through a multiple-choice (single correct) with NVDA, I get the "keyboard only" behavior you describe: each radio button is auto-selected as you cycle through them. From your post, it sounds like that should not be the case and I should have to purposefully select the answer (which I believe would be a better experience for someone who could not want to see the screen and wanted to explore all the choices before making a selection.

Attached is a movie using NVDA. I tab to the first option and then use the arrow keys to move up and down. Each options is selected as I go through them.

Helda Sepúlveda

I have a problem with the latest version of Storyline 360.

In the mobile version now I have a fixed black sidebar despite not having navigation buttons. In the previous version this did not happen and I generated the course in full screen. Is it possible to remove it? I am using the classic player.

I send 2 examples of what it looks now and what it looked before.

Katie Riggio

Hi there, Helda!

I appreciate you sharing your file for a closer look! 

I'm now able to see what you're describing: In Update 37, the content appears off-center when viewing it in landscape view. However, this isn't happening in Update 35 and when enabling the Modern Player.

I'm going to get this in front of our team so that we can verify whether this is a bug or not. Thanks for bringing this up to us, and I'm sorry for the trouble!

Lauren Connelly

Hi Chris!

I've tested the links and they are working on my end, so let me link them again for you!

Here's a fresh copy of the links:

You'll also find our general FAQ on accessibility in Articulate 360 tools here.

If you still can't open them, can you try allowlisting the domain articulate.com?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.