Please help!

Apr 25, 2013

Normal 0 false false false oNotPromoteQF /> EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Hello, I have developed 10 T/F questions on one slide. There are two different feedback based on which answer a learner will pick. Either feedback will take the learner back to the question he/she is answering. The difference is: if the learner gave the correct answer, a next arrow will appear that will suggest them to take to the next question. Otherwise, the arrow won’t appear if the learner gave the wrong answer.

I have created lots of layers in the slide. The base layer includes all the layouts with the first question, two answers, with background images, and title. There are other layers for the 9 questions and 20 feedback.

Shall I use variables here to make this arrow appear and not appear? I am not very familiar with Variables. If yes, could you give me some advice?

Please let me know if you need more information to clarify my questions.

Thank you very much.

Zhenyu

3 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Zhenyu,

You could definitely use variables, but you could also use states and triggers. I'm guessing you've created these questions on your own, they weren't built with the default Storyline questions?

If you have a selected state for the correct answer, or you're using a checkbox/radio button that has a selected state, you could trigger the arrow to display when that object's state is "Selected".

Are you able to share the .STORY file here, or a mock up?

Thanks!

Christine

Zhenyu He

Hi, Christine

I created these questions on my own. I want the arrow only appears when a learner gets the right answer. Otherwise, the arrow won't show or gray out.The answers for the 10 questions are as following Acceptable(A), Not Acceptable (NA), A, NA,NA,NA, A, NA,A,NA.

I am attaching a mock up file here. Thank you!

Zhenyu

Normal 0 false false false oNotPromoteQF /> EN-US X-NONE X-NONE
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Zhenyu,

Thanks for the file! 

First, you might want to set the initial state of the arrow to "Hidden". Then, you can trigger the "Normal" state when the correct response is clicked.. 

So, for the first question and first slide, you'd want to select the initial state of the arrow as "Hidden".

Add a trigger that changes the state of the arrow to "Normal" when the "Acceptable/Button 2" answer is clicked.

It will look something like this:

The only issue with this is that you have so many layers and it looks like you're pulling the arrow in through from the main layer. It may be easier for you to have a duplicate of that arrow on each layer and then trigger it with the correct answer from that specific question. 

Also, in order for the arrow to show up correctly when you "Go Back" you'll want to make sure the layer is set to "Resume saved state". 

Out of curiosity, purely, why are you wanting to show this arrow? I think the way you have the "Continue" and "Go Back" prompts work very well. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.