Possible JavaScript errors in new SL360 upgrade?

Jun 29, 2020

Hello,

I am revisiting a project I completed in SL360 a couple of months ago. It had the feature of a student typing in two different numbers that were then put on a timeline. These numbers were also sent to a variable display and used to calculate other numbers that were displayed on the timeline. Javascript was used as part of the calculator function.

The project was working when I set it aside, but now when I go into the project and publish it, it does not work. I type in the numbers on the first page, and SL will not advance to the page where the numbers are displayed and calculated.

Even when I try to merely Preview, I get an error telling me that Javascript is not available while previewing. This error message won't go away, no matter how many times I click OK. I had to Force Quit the application to get rid of the error message.

Week before last, I had upgraded to the most recent version of Storyline360. Could the upgrade be causing this problem?

thanks,

Elizabeth

3 Replies
Ren Gomez

Hi Elizabeth,

Happy to help shed some light on this subject! Back in January of 2020, Storyline 360 stopped using jQuery due to security concerns, so that may be affecting your Javascript triggers.

If you need to re-reference the jQuery library, this article sheds more detail on how to do that:

If you're not quite sure if this is related, or would like some help, feel free to connect with a support engineer, and they'll lend you a hand!

Kimberly Bourne

I am also having issues with Javascript. It is treating numbers as strings. So a simple calculation of one variable that has a number value of 30 + 10 is returning 3010 instead of 40. I figured a workaround by writing it this way:

variable1 = Number(variable2) + 10;

Instead of this way:

variable1 = variable2 + 10;

It worked, it just is a little less ideal and more clunky.  And I haven't had to do it in the past.  The variable type in storyline is also set up as a number.  I'd love some insight on that.

Thank you,

Kimberly

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.