Problems with the buttons in Storyline 360

Jan 11, 2024

Hi everyone, 

I recently discovered a problem with buttons and I don't know whether I did something wrong in my project or there's some kind of bug. I often have to work with drag and drop exercises and it always worked well until a few months ago. I then just used an earlier version of the project and it worked again so I didn't think about it anymore but today I had to create another drag and drop exercise and the same error/bug occurred again. In order to make the project work the way I want to I got to create triggers with the condition "If the Button is in the state normal then submit the drag and drop interaction". It used to work but now the interaction won't submit after pushing the button. I hope someone has an idea to fix that. 

Thanks, Team :)

8 Replies
Luciana Piazza

Hi Sarah, and welcome to the E-Learning Heroes Community! Glad you're here! 🎉

Thanks for including your .story file! I am able to replicate this behavior on my end. It looks like the conditional trigger you have included is not allowing the built-in states to behave properly.

When using built-in states, a clicked button in your course will no longer be considered Normal. Since you had the condition linked to just the Normal state, that is why the trigger was not behaving as intended when previewing. Here's an article that can help you better understand this.

I went ahead and created a sample for you. By removing the conditional formatting on the trigger, it is able to behave as expected when previewing the slide. To have a better look at the button functionality, I changed the colors of each state so you have a clearer look at the states in action. Attached you'll find my file. Feel free to test this out on your end.

Could you please share more details of what you’re trying to achieve? It would be helpful in order to recommend a more personalized solution for you.

Hope this helps! Have a wonderful start to your 2024! 

Sarah Fritzen

Hello Luciana, thanks for your answer. I think I have to be more  specific to make you understand what my problem is. I am pretty sure that the buttons in Storyline behave differently than they used to a few months ago. And now I am wondering if the previous behavior will come back because I think it was more useful. I will show you what I mean with some projects. The first project "Prozesskriterien Drag and Drop (6ans)" is built like the one in my previous post. It doesn't work anymore after opening it and testing it in Storyline but it did a few months ago.

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/c2af9930-8c9a-47d3-8a4a-3ba6cc215c7c/review

This is the link to the review360 project where it does work (I didn't change anything in the project).

Because of these changes I have to use a variable. It's not a much worse way to create the drag and drop exercises but I think it was more intuitive before, easier to use and also easier to make others understand them. A file where you can see the solution with the variable is the "Drag and Drop A2.1.6 (17ans)" file.

I hope you now know what I mean and that you could tell me whether it will stay this way or not and maybe why these changes were made.

Greetings
Sarah

Eric Santos

Hello Sarah,

I'm happy to chime in; thanks for sharing your Storyline projects! I looked at the triggers, and I think the condition, If state of Button is Normal, won't work when placed in a click event of the same button. This is because when the learner hovers over the button to click it, the Hover state fires.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to assist further as needed!