Publishing 360 to a Word document

Nov 08, 2017

Hi -

Has anyone encountered not successfully publishing to Word from Storyline? The publish begins and then quits after the 3rd slide. I gave the SL course to a colleague and he can publish on his PC, but I cannot do so on mine. It seems to be limited to this one course...but I need it. I'm also afraid it will happen again.

Thanks!

12 Replies
Ali Goulet

Sorry that's happening, Kathy! Let's get to the bottom of it.

I have a few questions to help track down the cause here:

1. Where is the file saved? Is it right on your C:Drive/Desktop, or is it saved to a network/shared drive?
  2. Are you running the latest update for Storyline 360? Here's how to check
  3. When you say it quits, are you receiving an error message? If so, what does it say? You can share a screenshot of it as an attachment to a comment and I'd be happy to take a look.

Keep me posted! 

Kathy Haratonik

Hi Alyssa and Ali,

Thanks for your responses. Sorry I did not answer sooner. I was expecting an email response and just went in to see if anyone answered me on discussions.

Let me clarify the whole story:

A colleague in Europe was not able to publish to Word to send out for review and approval. She could not figure out what was wrong. The publishing just quits after three slides. There is no error message… publishing goes super quick and there is only an abbreviated file.

She then sent me the SL file through Google Drive. I download it to my PC and the same thing happens. (Tried numerous times). I then sent the file I had on my PC to two more colleagues in the same office as me using Google Drive. And they can both publish it!

I sent my SL file to you using the instructions on the email from Articulate support:

Your Articulate Case # 01165921

Articulate Support <articulate.support@articulate.com>
Nov 8 (5 days ago)

Hi Kathy, 

Thanks so much for submitting your support case. We’ve received it and we’ll be in touch as soon as possible to help. Usually you'll hear from us within two business days. 

If you're having problems with a specific file, please upload it — that way we can give you more targeted help. 

In the meantime, you might find useful info in our community forums, where 525,000+ e-learning pros are answering questions and sharing their tips every day. 

For your reference, here are your case details: 

Case Number: 01165921 
Reference ID: ref:_00D30Txo._500f31BIVn0:ref 
Case Details: Hello,
I and one other colleague cannot publish a course to Word. Another
colleague can do so successfully. We need to do this publishing for every
project. Are you aware of such an issue and how we might resolve it?
Thanks for your assistance.
Kind regards,
Kate

We'll be in touch soon. Have a good day! 

Justin

Director of Technical Support

Jihong Jin

Hi,

How are you?

I just wonder what has been found out for the issue described here.

My co-worker ran into an issue, a little similar as the issue discussed here on some perspective. For the same SL 360 story file, when she published it to Word on her machine, the slides are missing the pictures and templates in the Word document, or the pictures coming up like noises on TV screen, just totally not readable. However when I published the same 360 story file to the Word,  everything shows up as expected in the Word document. I noticed the published word file has different size on her machine and on mine.

My co-worker and I have the exactly same version of 360 (v3.20.16814.0), and the same version of Word (Version 1708).

Any clue what is happening here?

Thank you very much!

Jihong Jin

Hi,

Just let you know we found the work around.

By importing the SL360 story file while opening the SL 360, then publish to Word, everything shows up properly in the Word document.

I would suggest the SL 360 develop team to look into potential bugs in the Word publishing area when the SL 360 story file is converted from SL2/Presenter.

And please let us know whenever the bug is fixed, so that we don't have to do the extra step for the work around.

Thank you!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jijong,

I'm glad you found a solution, but I'm not entirely clear on the steps you took. 

Was the file initially created in Storyline 2 or an earlier version of Presenter? Did you import the existing Storyline file into a new copy and that published successfully to Word? 

Importing a file into a new copy is a good tip when a file is misbehaving, often due to some corruption that has been introduced. You'd want to check that you and your colleagues are adhering to the guidelines here and I'd also suggest updating to the latest version, Storyline 360, build 3.23.17480.0.

Please let me know if you need more help! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.