Publishing and 508 Compliance

May 15, 2014

I searched for this in the forums and didn't find anything, so I'm posting a question: 

I am developing simple presentations (at this point) and have experimented with publishing them as HTML5. That all seems to work just fine. However, one issue is accessibility within the presentation itself. My client could not "tab through" the presentation materials; hence making it inaccessible to someone who does not use a mouse. 

I'm sure there's a setting somewhere! Can anyone help? How do I ensure that my Storyline presentations (and the content within including drag n' drop, multiple choice/multiple answer etc.) are all 508 compliant? 

Any guidance and advice welcome! 

Penny; newbie user

Articulate update 5

5 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Penny and welcome to Heroes! 

You may want to begin by reviewing the information here on 508 compliance, as elements like a drag and drop won't work with the tab key. 

Additionally, here is information on how the tab key functions and you'll want to ensure that you've enabled the object(s) to be accessible within the size and position window. 

Also as detailed within this chart, only the Flash output will be 508 compliant. You may still publish for HTML5 for use on iPads, but those who need to use the accessibility features will need to view the Flash based content - Storyline will determine which version to show based on how they access the course as described here. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Daniel, 

Publishing your Storyline courses for HTML5 only shouldn't have an impact on the 508 compliance of a course. For more details on how the end of Flash will impact your courses and authoring, please take a look at this article.

If you have any other questions, please let us know here or connect directly with our Support Team to discuss your needs one on one!