Replacement for Disappearing AMP in 2021?

May 19, 2020

Greetings Folks:
As I understand it, Flash will likely disappear after 2021 and, along with it, the ability to download Storyline courses to the iPad/Android device (please correct me if I'm wrong here). My customers rely heavily on downloading courses. Does anyone see a possibility for continued downloading after 2021 via a new system or process? And, despite being a very big A360 fan, is there another system that allows eLearning courses to be downloaded by students.

Thank you for any insights you might offer.

Sincerely,
Rod Machado

5 Replies
Katie Riggio

Hello there, Rod!

Good questions. I'm happy to answer those for you:

1. Will the ability to allow downloading for offline viewing continue to be available in 2021?

We'll end support for the Articulate Mobile Player (AMP) on December 31, 2020. AMP courses rely on Flash output, and since Flash is ending, we'll also retire AMP.

HTML5 support has matured in all major browsers, making HTML5 the best experience for mobile learners. Because AMP output is the default viewing option for Android devices and iPads, we recommend republishing courses to HTML5 without AMP output by December 31, 2020.

2. Will Articulate build an option to allow learners to access an offline version of a course?

We are actively monitoring requests for this capability, so I'll make sure our report is updated with your vote.

3. Is there another way outside of Articulate to unlock this?

I have seen certain LMSs offer an offline player. In fact, the SuccessFactors mobile app has an offline viewing option.

Community members, it's your time to shine! If you have any third-party recommendations for downloading courses and offline viewing, please chime in!

Rod Machado

Greetings Katie:
Thank you so much for that reply and the information. Many of my customers enjoy the off-line aspects of my eLearning courses. The elimination of the AMP increases the inconvenience for these students and eliminates one of the benefits offered by my courses. Therefore, please accept my recommendation to have Articulate create a replacement for the AMP.
Sincerely,
Rod Machado

Lauren Connelly

Hi Rod!

I'm happy to help! Are your customers having trouble viewing the entire course or just specific slides? Also, are they viewing the course using a certain app or browser?

Lastly, do you have a sample file that we can test on our end? If so, you can either attach it to this discussion by using the Add Attachment button or you can upload the .story file by using the private upload link. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.