Restricting Click Next in S360 for devices

Aug 25, 2017

When building modules in S360, I often want to restrict the learner from advancing until they've viewed the whole slide. Previously I disabled the next button until it reached a cue point but now that we are rolling out modules for use on devices, this doesn't work (you can't show the next arrow as disabled on tablet or mobile view, only desktop). 

I have solved this by both creating an Incomplete layer that shows relevant text when the user clicks Next before the slide is complete and setting up variables that change when the slide is fully viewed. This is really clunky and time consuming. 

What would be great is if there was a conditions option that related to the timeline - at the moment it's just shapes, variables and windows. So you could set a Next trigger to move to the next slide providing the timeline had reached a cue point/time window. 

And I'd love to hear if anyone has more efficient work arounds that creating variables and setting conditions... 

1 Reply
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Louise!

That certainly sounds like something that can be accomplished.

I'm not sure that I fully understand your course set up, but if you're simply waiting on the timeline to progress on a slide, you can certainly utilize triggers for when the timeline ends or when the timeline reaches x time.

If the slide is more interactive, that may require some variable use.

When you restrict or lock navigation, you can choose whether it impacts just the menu or also disables the Previous and Next buttons. And you can use triggers to override restricted navigation for individual slides. See this article for details.

If you have a sample .story file for us to take a look at, feel free to share.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.