Scrolling panel Problem in SL360

Aug 02, 2017

Hello everybody.

I have a very strange problem with Scrolling panel in SL360. When publishing any project I always get a huge space after the text or any other content, e.g. pictures. In SL a scroll works fine and there is no superfluous space. I get the problem only in published projects. I really don't know what is the reason of such behavior.

Any idea?

24 Replies
Wendy Farmer

Hi Mikhail

I just previewed your html5 output in chrome - the first scrolling panel with text doesn't appear to have huge space - can you take a screenshot of what you are seeing or let us know which slide in the project the scrolling panel is on that you have issue with.

Which browser are you viewing the published output in?

Mikhail Mumlev

Hi Wendy,

I use IE11. In Chrome there is no such problem. I didn't check any other browsers.

The scrolling panel is on the very first slide at the project. I deleted all other slides and kept only problematic one. But I have several slides with scrolling panels with the same problem.

The print screen is at the attachment.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Mikhail, sorry you're running into that. We're working through an issue where space is added below text inside a scrolling panel when slide is viewed with HTML5 in Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge. 

Until we find a fix, I'd recommend linking to the Flash output, or using another browser.

I really appreciate you bringing this up, and I'll be sure to share an update in this thread as soon as I get more information!

Crystal Horn

Hi Kenn, and thanks for checking in. Our engineers had a good look at this behavior in IE and Edge.  We're interpreting Microsoft's documentation to indicate that this issue is a serious bug on their end that they are evaluating.

Currently, you'll want to suggest using another browser or running the Flash version to avoid this behavior until Microsoft is able to release a fix.

We’ll continue to monitor the impact on our customers and consider whether any updates are needed.

Leslie McKerchie

Thanks for sharing a sample file and allowing me to take a look and understand what you were reporting.

I've not seen this behavior before, but I am able to recreate the issue on my own.

I'll get this filed with our team to take a closer look and link this thread to the report. This will allow us to track both user impact as well as update you here when we can. I wanted to share some information on how we define bugs and how we tackle them when they occur.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Lyn,

The issue reported here was specific to IE and Edge and we have been waiting on a fix from Microsoft as Crystal explained here.

It sounds like you may be running into something a bit different.

With your permission, I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Vincent Scoma

Hi Maria,

We are in the waiting process on a fix from Microsoft since this is specific to IE and Edge browsers. Crystal provided some further details on this issue here

If you would like us to take a look at your file, we're always more than happy to help! You can share files in this thread here or you’re always welcome to connect privately with our Support Engineers. We'll let you know our findings and will delete it after having a closer look!

Rages C

Hi,

I too have the same scroll issue with the published output in IE. IE is the default browser we use at office hence waiting for a fix from Articulate. Html 5 scroll works fine in Internet Explorer, but problem occurs only with Storyline html 5 output. I faced this issue only with Articulate 360 and not with Storyline 2 or 3. Please update me if fix is done.

Thank you

Katie Riggio

Greetings, Rages!

Thank you for letting us know this is impacting your work.

IE and Edge have a known issue displaying scrolling panels in HTML5 output. Both browsers often add extra padding to the bottom of scrolling panels, so there can be an excessive amount of space after the content.

Until Microsoft fixes the problem, you can avoid it by switching to another HTML5 browser, such as Chrome or Firefox.

I know that might not be ideal since IE is your default browser, so I promise to update this discussion the second there's more to share!

Lisa Jones

Actually, the issue is resolved with a CSS tweak to be more cross-browser compatible. One example fix is at https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/sl3-scrolling-text-includes-lots-of-extra-space-ie-html5#reply-521447 (I've seen other similar fixes as well before posted in the community). Until the last patch, we could use jQuery to implement the fix (so it would resolve without post-publish file modification, but it seems that's gone now. Perhaps that will help you for now though - as long as it still works since the large change implemented in the last update.

Lisa Jones

Hey Matt! I actually did another temporary "breakfix" approach that seems to meet the best balance for the development and maintenance environment, but not ideal for learners (have to turn off the ability to return at last slide viewed). The issue is now to legacy files. We have to comb through them to see if there are any jQuery references - so something like a simple text change is not at least several minutes to do with the additional searching and testing.

I do appreciate your help though! Perhaps it will get someone out of a bind in the future. Best!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.