Section 508 (ADA compliance) Story line

Oct 16, 2014

Hello, 

Where can I learn how to build a Storyline course that is ADA complaint. Do I need special equipment for testing the course to make sure it functions well? 

Thanks in advance for your help! 

Hanna 

7 Replies
Hanna Golota

Thanks Ashley, I saw that article earlier. So it is enough to assume everything is working fine and I just need to avoid the features that are not supported?  Do I understand correctly that if hotspot interactions are not supported, then it is not possible to have a software simulation as this type of a training does require hot spot interaction? 

Thanks Emily for linking my other question. I thought that the initial one was not posted. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Hanna,

I'd recommend testing it using some type of screen reader that you know your users will be accessing it through, and also avoid the features that are not supported. You're correct in terms of hotspots and drag and drop interactions, as those will not be supported. You can use the software simulation in video on a single slide mode, or the view mode so that the user is walked through each step instead of having to click on it and move the interaction along themselves. 

Kuriko A
Hanna Golota

So it is enough to assume everything is working fine and I just need to avoid the features that are not supported?  

Hanna, even if you only use the features that are claimed to be supported, there are some important accessibility bugs that you need to be aware of, in regards to applying Alt text. You definitely need to test all your published courses using a screen reader, and never assume that it will all work as intended. You'll find more detail here and you can download a free screen reader here.  

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.